Well I sure as **** didn't expect that to happen...

Old 04-21-2014, 09:26 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Well I sure as **** didn't expect that to happen...

We have all done it...I'm talking about doing somehing stupid that you know better but for some reason you didn't do something right and had a Homer Simpson DOH! moment. What are some of your stories?

Here is one of mine from today...

So it's shaping up to be a routine oil change, nothing special here...then I realized I neglected to open the valve on my oil catch pan to let the oil in. So one gloved hand into hot puddle of oil later the the valve is open. Crisis averted and I barely even burned my hand...then I realize I didn't open the breathe hole either and it burped oil all over the place. Next we have our oil filter and on the 3.4 we all know it's in that stupid little place right next to the y-pipe which is still rather warm at this point but not as hot as the oil. Long story short on this one I managed to get the oil filter to get oil everywhere a second time...this is just going great. And to top it all off I pull the oil dipstick out to check the level and the damn thing breaks. The stars were aligned for that oil change.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:36 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

This is why I let the car cool off before changing the oil :P

Old 04-22-2014, 04:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah, got a couple t-shirts to that rodeo too!

While the Simple Green works on the slobbered mess, have a beer!

That's what I usually do.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Not really that bad an oil change. 30 some years ago i was doing my first oil change. Only the oil pan had no drain plug. So I had to take all the pan bolts off. Since the car was on a lift the oil went into the catch can.

At that point I could clearly see the valve body of a TH350.
On the upside the fluid really needed changing.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:50 PM
4th Gear Member

Once helped a buddy do his first oil change on his Lumina. Needless to say, I stood there while I let him work, only helping when he couldn't figure something out. When he finally said he was "done", I told him to start the car so we could check for leaks. He starts it and as soon as he fired it up, oil started pouring all over the floor so I yelled at him to shut it off. Looked under it, and noticed no filter!

That was the last time he ever did an oil change on that car. His new Cruze is a little harder to forget on. Oil filter sits 10 inches away from oil fill cap.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:23 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Socom
This is why I let the car cool off before changing the oil :P
i used to do the same, but now that im extending my drain interval the lab says its best to not let everything settle to the bottom on the pan, so just after a drive when all the condensation is burnt off and the oil is mixed real well.

but yeah i had that thought when my hand went in the oil, along with **** this is hot! haha

Old 04-23-2014, 10:25 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Once helped a buddy do his first oil change on his Lumina. Needless to say, I stood there while I let him work, only helping when he couldn't figure something out. When he finally said he was "done", I told him to start the car so we could check for leaks. He starts it and as soon as he fired it up, oil started pouring all over the floor so I yelled at him to shut it off. Looked under it, and noticed no filter!

That was the last time he ever did an oil change on that car. His new Cruze is a little harder to forget on. Oil filter sits 10 inches away from oil fill cap.
i have witness this once before, but on a hummer. at least you know the pump is working well and the oil gets where its going fast, in a few seconds just about all the oil was on the floor haha