not sure what to do.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:27 AM
Default not sure what to do.

so my Saturday project is turning out to be a week long project.

I was going to install lowering springs/shocks. in the front (already did the rear). and I cant get the nut on top of the shock off. it spins with the shaft. I have tried using wd40 rust penetrating spray and no luck.

I don't have a plasma cutter or blow torch or any type of cutting device. what are my options for removing the nut. I already broke the tip of it off with vise grips and wrench.

I tried taking it to the shops around my area but none of them want to do it except for pepboys but they are asking too much. (I think) is $274 for one side normal just to swap out the upper shock mount, coil spring isolator, coil spring seat, dust cover. and reinstall and compress new spring and shock.

I also ran into some problems compressing the spring. when I compressed it the bottom of the spring came off (not touching the spring seat) however the top was still touching the mount...I had the compressor as high as I could get it I got about 6 coils in-between the compressor. but I got the reverse of what everyone else seems to get. atleast every video I have seen, not sue what I did wrong. also I know im not strong but man trying to compress the spring was a workout unlike all the videos I have seen. they do it with one hand ( im like :0)

but anyways for now I guess im going to call as many shops around my area (or up to 2hrs away) hope someone is down. I really don't want to spend $133.66 for mounts, isolators, spring seats and dust covers.

probably the worst part was that I thought I did all the research I needed. I guess not, I had a feeling I should of called around for shops that would do the swap for me before starting. btw when I decompressed the stock spring it would not ling up with the seat. so I cant put the old one back on.

any help at all would be really helpful. or shop recommendations? car is currently on jackstands, and its my daily d. lol my wife is so mad..

Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 AM
4th Gear Member

Compressor is normal, you just want to squeeze enough for removing spring pressure from the strut and other ancillary items.

The nut used is a Nyloc nut - has a plastic insert in the top of the nut making for a mechanical locking feature, no lock washer needed.
Also, the nut is a one time of use, throw away and get a new one as a new nut should be with the new strut.

Think about it, you don't want your nuts falling off the front end.

Since you are swapping out struts/shocks, clamp down on the piston rod with the ViseGrips®.
You're gonna throw away the shock any way, who cares about the condition?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:44 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you might want to order new upper shock mounts, sounds like yours are going to be in sad shape when your done.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:01 PM

thanks for everything iknow its been a couple months. but anyways i decided that i did not like how low it was so decided to put the stock springs back on. i ran into a problem with the sway bars not wanting to line up or its to far apart. im guessing its because i dont have the front end up on both sides. (never had a problem before). but im sure ill figure it out no biggi.

more importantly i found a couple ls1 v6 cars at a junkyard and the brakes look new, cars are crashed in the rear. anyways i cant seem to find a how to on removing ls1 spindles, can someone please guide me to a how to or tell me with pictures? all the ls1 brake swap how to's seem to skip the removing the spindle, hub part and usually say something along the lines of install new spindles and done. i have everything apart shocks out. but i figured might as well upgrade to 2 piston while its apart.

anything else i should take from these 98+ cars.. i took the light bulb sockets (practically brand new looking,) engines are gone (v6's) but radiators, ac stuff still there.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:13 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

no spindal, we have hubs. four bolts on the back and unhook abs sensor and you got it. i think they are the same 93-02

Old 06-23-2015, 08:36 AM

oh, so iv been searching it all wrong. figures. lol. i found a video of a gmc jimmy so they are probably the same thing, he used regular house hold tools. so i should be good.

4bolts in back then the nut with the cotter pin and the whole arm,hub,brakes should come off in one piece? looks like its not to heavy, hopefully. i keep reading about ppl having to use special tools like some type of fork seperator, press thing, must be for something else.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:58 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

here it is. dont need pickle fork or any special tools. link to pic http://shbox.com/1/front_hub.jpg be a good idea for you to download the factory service/shop manual. brb

Attached Thumbnails not sure what to do.-front_hub.jpg  
Old 06-23-2015, 09:02 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

go here and download your year, or closest to your yr https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Search this Thread