98 3.8 Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Default 98 3.8 Project

So a few weeks ago I bought my Camaro, intended to be a project, for $750. Only thing that I saw wrong when I went to look at it was that it was overheating and needed some body work.
No problem really there. But I got it to my apartment parking lot and now the security and check engine lights come on and the car won't crank. I've tried jumping the car, nothing.

Was able to hook the car up to a code reader and there is more wrong than I originally thought. Cylinder 3 misfire, evaporative emission system leak, coolant temp is always low, and EGR valve always stuck open.

First step in this process: Get the car to crank.

Second step: Fix the coolant leak. The coolant tank is leaking/bone dry.

Third step: Figure out what's causing the misfire and then fix the issue. After that I should be able to drive it enough to take it to a shop and see what all needs to be done.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:15 PM
4th Gear Member

Is the security light solid or blinking? If it's blinking then that's the reason behind your no start problem.

Is there a visible leak on the ground for the coolant? If not, I would do a pressure test. Intake gaskets is a common spot on the sixxers.

Misfire could be caused by the leak, or more likely, spark plugs or wires. You might be able to clean the EGR valve up instead of replacing.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Is the security light solid or blinking? If it's blinking then that's the reason behind your no start problem.

Is there a visible leak on the ground for the coolant? If not, I would do a pressure test. Intake gaskets is a common spot on the sixxers.

Misfire could be caused by the leak, or more likely, spark plugs or wires. You might be able to clean the EGR valve up instead of replacing.
The first time I switch the key on it blinks, after I switch the key off and back on there is a clicking sound behind me and it is a solid light. I'm going to try to do a VATS bypass tomorrow after I get off work.

When I tried pouring coolant into the tank to raise the coolant level, it drained just as fast as I could pour.

If it's the spark plugs or wires, that will be too easy. Hopefully it's not something crazy though.

Thanks for the help MKCoconuts

Old 07-31-2014, 09:35 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

coolant tank is known for leaking. going to have to pull the battery (tank is under it) and see if you can find the hole. could be in the tank or the hose. check coolant level in the radiator to insure the level is to the top. do you have coolant in the oil?