Project Basic Bish

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 02:22 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

As Socom said at high performance NA motor is not going to translate to a good turbo motor. The things you need to do to a motor to make it a great NA motor will make it a bad turbo motor. You need to decide if your going to build the motor twice or once. Even your ring gaps will be different NA to Turbo.

NA needs high compression and large CFM number through the intake/heads. That setup will really limit the boost on pump gas and it will feel laggy with a turbo. The guys that run the old junk yard motors are taking advantage of the fact the motor is worn and lower on compression. Even then they pull the motors apart file the ring gaps larger. Back in the day when we built turbo motors they were 8.0-8.5 to 1 compression. The LS motors get away with it being a little higher because the motors are so strong the timing has much better control.

Now if you plan on running race gas you can make it work but you could still get more out of the turbos if you build the motor for them.

Last edited by Gorn; 05-02-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
As Socom said at high performance NA motor is not going to translate to a good turbo motor. The things you need to do to a motor to make it a great NA motor will make it a bad turbo motor. You need to decide if your going to build the motor twice or once. Even your ring gaps will be different NA to Turbo.

NA needs high compression and large CFM number through the intake/heads. That setup will really limit the boost on pump gas and it will feel laggy with a turbo. The guys that run the old junk yard motors are taking advantage of the fact the motor is worn and lower on compression. Even then they pull the motors apart file the ring gaps larger. Back in the day when we built turbo motors they were 8.0-8.5 to 1 compression. The LS motors get away with it being a little higher because the motors are so strong the timing has much better control.

Now if you plan on running race gas you can make it work but you could still get more out of the turbos if you build the motor for them.
I get that, my goal was to make a certain amount of HP to get to my goal HP rating. i will be building and setting the motor up for the turbos. I definitely don't have the money to build it twice. Haha

Old 05-03-2016, 07:53 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Don't forget about the suspension, engine management, rear, trans, and fuel system needed to support 1k+. That's a lot of $$ lol.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Socom
Don't forget about the suspension, engine management, rear, trans, and fuel system needed to support 1k+. That's a lot of $$ lol.
Yup, I've got most figured out

Transmission- 400TH $1800 (800+hp) gotta look of the manufacturer
Rear- Ford 9" not sure the gear ratio 1800-2200 from quick performance
Suspension I'm budgeting 3k for
$5-6000 for the engine and turbos
Fuel system I'm still working out
My goal is to have About 15k into this car.
So far, I have about $1100 in it and that includes the car, complete LQ4 engine, roll cage and frame connectors. So I think I'm off to a good start. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:25 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Not to be a ball buster but if you want a reliable 1k horsepower from a turbo car 6k won't cut it. You'll probably spend at least 2-3k on the short block alone putting good rods and pistons in the motor. And at least another 2k+ on a good set of heads and intake manifold. And then you'll have to spent at least 2k on a decent set of turbos + turbo kit that aren't china brand and will actually make 1k reliably. People put 1k as a goal all the time but no e/t goals in mind. 1000 horsepower is not an easy goal on a budget. If you want to run 9s you only need 6-700 to do that with a properly setup car.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Not to be a ball buster but if you want a reliable 1k horsepower from a turbo car 6k won't cut it. You'll probably spend at least 2-3k on the short block alone putting good rods and pistons in the motor. And at least another 2k+ on a good set of heads and intake manifold. And then you'll have to spent at least 2k on a decent set of turbos + turbo kit that aren't china brand and will actually make 1k reliably. People put 1k as a goal all the time but no e/t goals in mind. 1000 horsepower is not an easy goal on a budget. If you want to run 9s you only need 6-700 to do that with a properly setup car.
You make a really good point. After a lot of thinking, researching, and planning, my goals have changed from making a 1000+whp, to getting the car into the 9 second range. I would definitely be happy there and that's a very respectable street car in my book. But that doesn't mean I won't be happier with faster. Haha I'll keep the updates coming, they'll be a little slow until I'm finished with building my house. After that it'll be full steam ahead. I really do appreciate the feedback and ideas. Definitely keep them coming. Thanks

Old 05-03-2016, 04:05 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have a look at the 4l80 trans. much better shifts and is a tough trans

Old 05-03-2016, 05:00 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by craby
have a look at the 4l80 trans. much better shifts and is a tough trans
This. They are more expensive to build but make for a better street car. I would put some rods and pistons in the lq4 and just throw boost at it with stock heads, head studs, a turbo cam, and some good springs / intake manifold. That should get you 9s fairly easy.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:20 AM
In the Staging Lanes

This. They are more expensive to build but make for a better street car. I would put some rods and pistons in the lq4 and just throw boost at it with stock heads, head studs, a turbo cam, and some good springs / intake manifold. That should get you 9s fairly easy.
Yeah a 4spd would be nice, but I think for now I'm sticking with the TH400 to stay in budget.

I am working with a machine shop now to figure out a rod and piston combo, not sure what I'm going to bore the block out too yet. Also, talking to some people and doing some reading, there's mixed reviews on using ARP main studs (I know its "cheap" insurance) but if the stock bottom end can handle 800-1000hp is it worth it? I mean that $300 for studs and $100 to line hone the main caps could go towards some other more important parts (possibly a 4L80 trans, hahaha). The head studs are definitely a must since I will be boosting and the rods I'm going with comes with ARP rod bolts. So I'll have those covered. Just checking to see what you guys think. Thanks

Old 05-08-2016, 06:57 PM
4th Gear Member

I seen where you said $15.000 budget,with my z28,i started at 5k an now in reality was $8000.00 counting the labor I paid ,I would figure a 3rd more ,but if your doing the work then your saveing money too,i think you will see like me $100.00 $300.00 over an over very much adds up mock up cost money to ,but more man hours ,modification cost $$,looking back I probley could have done an ls3 for about the same cost ,though I am happy with what I got ,couse I ended up with stage 3 block an forged parts for my money ,because of a mistake on my build in my favor,looking back would I do things different ,well lets see 5 years from now ,probley so ,it would have been less time ,I would have kept the trans the same too,an all my gauges would have not had to be replaced ,, ,but I will love to see this ,I am thinking this is a long term project ,? your going fuel injection too,that could prove costly

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 05-08-2016 at 08:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Project Basic Bish