MKCoconuts Z28 Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:24 PM
4th Gear Member

I realize I haven't updated this. I installed the heated O2 sensor which was piece of cake. I've been running the car, but it will be coming off the road soon for a few reasons.

I will driving to Harmony, PA (near Pittsburgh) for my grandparents 50th anniversery on the 15th, and I want fuel mileage, and Justice won't provide that with it's current issues.

That leaves me with some issues that may be the forum can help out with. I have a part throttle surge problem. The car will spit and sputter ( I can get video). Solomon reviewed a data log I sent him and feels the stock 22lb/hr injectors are not enough for the CC503 and is running the car too lean. I had him lean the car out some at idle and part throttle to gain some mileage back and we both agreed that between the stock injectors and me having him lean it out that it may be running too lean causing the issue. At his suggestion, I looked for any exhaust leaks that may have been contributing to the problem and found a few. I fixed them but I can't say it helped (or hurt) it's part throttle issue.

There is something that makes me thing that this is not the problem. When I first installed his tune the car ran beautiful throughout the RPM range. Idle, part throttle, WOT it was beautiful. At some point, and I am not 100 percent when, it developed this issue. I don't know if it was after I replaced the gears with 3.42s, changed the IAC or made the TPS adjustable. I honestly don't remember if it happened after one of those or all of those because I did them all within 2 weeks of each other.

I was thinking may be Opti, but it's a MSD unit with less than 5k miles on it. No SES light and last I checked, no codes were stored, but I will double check. The car honestly sounds like it's not getting enough fuel. Fuel pressure is at 42 lbs and never dips below that.

The surge happens mainly between 2k-3k rpm. WOT, it is fine. Any thoughts? If the injectors are indeed too small, any suggestions on what size to get?

The other issue I am having is a belt squeal that I can not track down. Belt is properly aligned. The tensioner is newish and has plenty of tension. I thought may be my belt was too short, causing too much tension since I was using the higher amp alternator found on later year Camaros which call for a slightly longer belt. I swapped the belt out but it still squeals which makes it less enjoyable to drive.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

test your tps and make sure readings are not jumping around.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:42 PM
4th Gear Member

Well, I figured out the issue. Header bolts were loose. I don't know how I missed that! I replaced the PCV hose too cause it was cracked somewhat.

It runs like it should again. But that belt squeal. It's driving me nuts!! Everything is new. The belt isn't out of alignment from what I can tell.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I destroyed a U-joint yesterday after solving the stumbling issue. First time I get on it and it destroyed itself.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:34 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

lol, yep my belt slips on power up. i replaced tensioner and got a gater belt. helped but still get that squeal. i do have a slow leak from the a/c and it may be getting some a/c oil on things

Old 08-06-2015, 10:31 AM
4th Gear Member

It does it on start up and then any time it's under load. If I idle it, it's fine. The belt is new and still feels dry. Guess I'll have to go over everything again and make sure it's tight. I think it's coming from the alternator, which is new.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:46 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

thats not right,,, how old is the tensioner

Old 08-07-2015, 06:49 PM
4th Gear Member

I wanna say it's 2-3 years old. I know I replaced it once because I still have the old one. I played with things today and it hasn't squeaked yet, so we'll see how long that lasts. Always seems like I fix one thing and another thing goes wrong.

Been losing a little oil for a while now and found out roughly where it's coming from. Either the water pump seal on the timing cover or the opti seal. Guess even new seals can't keep the oil in. Haha.

Need to find different wheels for this car. I'm starting to hate the look of the third gen ones.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:22 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

front and back of the intake is common leak spot. getting about time to redo mine.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:42 AM
4th Gear Member

Believe it or not, both front and rear of the intake are nice and dry!

I was under after running it and I could see the oil trail just start behind the opti and down the timing cover but could also see a little come down by the weep hole on the pump. Guess i have something to do this winter while it sits.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:55 AM
4th Gear Member

have you tryed belt ease or dressing ,helps sqeaks

Quick Reply: MKCoconuts Z28 Project