How to get this apart?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 09:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default How to get this apart?

I've started on refurbishing my front suspension, but I can't seem to figure out how to get this https://i.imgur.com/1XzVcuW.jpg apart. The bar with the screw driver in it. I also need some suggestions on getting the lower control arm bushing out (not a good pic but they are inside here: https://i.imgur.com/ehYs3Fh.jpg ). I tried putting a screw driver down the center hole and beating the center out but that didn't do much. I also tried a bit of drilling a hole into the bushing in hopes of breaking things loose. No dice there either. I gave up for the day and it has PB blaster soaking into it.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:23 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Afraid they wont come willingly, and once out, you'll want to have a shop with a press put them back together. I used a drill bit to drill dozens of holes in the rubber, until it allowed the center and shaft to come out. Then cut the metal with my sawzall until it was almost cut through, and then pried until it broke out.
In the end it was a lot of work, and I still didn't feel comfortable pressing the new poly bushings in with my 12 ton press, as I didn't have the right blocking to keep from distorting the control arms. Have them do the lower ball joints at the same time, and save another trip!
The local shops around here charge $80 to remove the old bushings and install new on all 4 arms. I had them do mine after I got the old ones out, and it still ran me $60. Wasn't worth the $20 savings for all the work I did. Next time I'll just pull the arms and give them, and the bushings to a shop to do all of it.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:37 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I guess the front end is going to be waiting a month or so then. I ended up breaking part of a drill bit off in the rubber on the lower control arm. Back to painting with POR it is then. Thanks for your help!

Old 05-23-2015, 08:42 PM
1st Gear Member

depending on how creative you are you can use a piece of thread all and push them out with a set of nuts and washers or get the bushing removal kit from oreillys

Old 05-24-2015, 10:24 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The big issue is getting the bushings out and new ones in, and NOT tweak the control arms! I've known people who have gotten them in and out, and then the control arms didn't line up from being slightly bent in the process.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

That was the same concern the base auto hobby shop had. They said they've done them before, but it was a huge pain in the ***. I called around a few places here and more or less all of them said it is an hour to 2 hour job @ 75$ an hour. They said the biggest issue is getting the old rubber out. The new poly ones go in fairly easily. I'm going to end up just having a shop do it for me.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, I got bored and a bit curious/impatient today. I got all of the bushing replaced at home. I used a torch to heat them up and get the OEM rubber to start to melt a bit. I then pushed them out. The sleeves took a hammer, a block of wood and a soaking in PBR. The new ones went in extremely easily. I got everything together and there is no warping, everything lines up!

I also got the upper ball joints out a few days ago with an angle grinder, a flat head screw driver and a drill. I haven't ordered the new ones yet. The lowers I'm not sure on yet. I have a couple ideas on how to get them out at home. If nothing else, I can do it in an Oreily's parking lot with their tool. I already have the new ones on hand.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:31 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Geawiel
Well, I got bored and a bit curious/impatient today. I got all of the bushing replaced at home. I used a torch to heat them up and get the OEM rubber to start to melt a bit. I then pushed them out. The sleeves took a hammer, a block of wood and a soaking in PBR. The new ones went in extremely easily. I got everything together and there is no warping, everything lines up!

I also got the upper ball joints out a few days ago with an angle grinder, a flat head screw driver and a drill. I haven't ordered the new ones yet. The lowers I'm not sure on yet. I have a couple ideas on how to get them out at home. If nothing else, I can do it in an Oreily's parking lot with their tool. I already have the new ones on hand.
Good job! Glad you got them out, and the new ones in. The upper ball joints are always a snap. The lowers take either the tool, or a press. AutoZone's rental program lets you buy the tool, and if returned within 60 days they give a full refund.