31.78%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

July ROTM Vote Thread, Convertables

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 06:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Cool July ROTM Vote Thread, Convertables

Hello all and Welcome to Camaroforums July Ride Of The Month. For July we have Three Fine Convertibles in the running. Here they are, Look them over and vote for your favorite. Please keep in mind Tango68SS has not yet confirmed entry. I will be updating the thread as info comes in.

Gorn

Name:  Freds67b.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  174.8 KB

1967 RS/SS built October of 1966. (Not a clone) It is a 350 4-speed, from the factory is has the deluxe interior, power top, full gages. Power steering has been added. The only recent upgrades the car has is a Holley avenger carburetor and a petronic ignition kit. This gave the car much better street manners. At about 325 HP It is not a race car but it can be fun to drive. When I take people for rides they seem very surprised how it rides. I have been told it is like riding in a new car.

Fbodyrs96

Tango68ss

Last edited by craby; 07-20-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:13 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Contestants feel free to post pictures and info in this thread as you please. Good luck and Great Camaro's.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:31 AM
2nd Gear member

1996 Camaro RS Convertible 97,400 miles
Exterior Color: Arctic White
Interior Color: Netuarl Leather
Engine: 3800 Series II V6
Transmission: Automatic 4L60E

Factory Options:
Fully Loaded
-Y87
-3.42's
-RS aka Y3F
-LSD
just to list a few

Exterior modifications:
-Harwood 2.5" cowl hood
-Black carbon fiber nose emblem
-Berger mod with white camaro emblem inserts
-Red Calipers

Interior Modifications:
-Ebony leather interoir swap
-Red LEDs in dash
-Custom vinyl wrapped dash and trim

Performance:
-Tuned with HPtuners
-Full cold air intake by chromeintake's
-ZZP GT2 Cam 216°/216° at .050" 111 LSA
-LS6 #90 yellow springs
-Comp pushrods 7.05 5/16 .080" thickness
-INTENSE Re-usable Rocker Arm Bolts
-JP Performance Single Timing Chain
-Manley Performance Valvespring Retainers
-Comp OE lifters
-EGR delete
-Pacesetter Headers
-cat delete
-2.5" S,I and over the axle pipe.
-Borla PRO XS
-3.5" SS tips
-NGK TR55 spark plugs
-MSD 8.5MM Super Conductor Ignition Wires #32799
-180 Thermostat

Suspension:
-UMI red SFC's (weld-in's)
-Kenny Brown 3 point STB
-J&M LCA's 3 Piece Poly Ball Bushings (red)
-J&M Panhard Rod (red)
-32mm 1LE Front Sway Bar (black)
-32mm Prothane bushings (red)
-Front Energy Suspension End links set (black)
-21mm 1LE rear sway bar (red)
-21mm Prothane bushings/end links set (red)
-red ploy bumpstops

Wheels/Tires
-17' SS 10 spoke wheels
-275/40ZR17 Riken Raptors

Brakes:
-Slotted and cross drilled rotors

Electronics:

-Pioneer DEH-P7700MP Head Unit
-Blaupunkt GTc652 6-1/2" Component System
-Blaupunkt GTx662 6-3/4" 2-way Speaker

Old 07-23-2013, 09:09 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

nice pictures fbody. we got us a close one here. get your votes in.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:33 AM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

4th gen love for me

Old 07-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

How I got the car:
I have always been a Camaro guy ever since my first 74 Z clone I bought when I was 15. On the day I was married I owned two Camaros(my 74 and a 84). In 1990 I sold off the Camaros to help with my first house purchase and to get more family friendly car. I started looking for a weekend cruiser in 1998. I really wanted a ragtop. Back then my wife was an internet guru, she could find anything. I had asked her to look for a 70-72 Buick Skylark or Olds Cutlass Rag top. She found some but on the third day I came home for work and she said “what about a Camaro convertible”. I half laughed because I was thinking of what I could get for the budget I had. She said come and see. The description was 67 Camaro Convertible Runs great, new inspection, Needs top $7500. Calll XXXXXXXX, I called the number . The owner told me he was in Johnstown PA and he would email me photos and his address. Still not too excited because I was still under the “too good to me true” impression and I have seen enough rusted out 1st gen to choke a river. The next day I got two fuzzy pictures and the address. When I check the address I found he lived on 100 yard from where I lived with my father in 1989. I told the wife I was willing to take her to see her parent this weekend. She laughed at me because she saw the email also.

I grabbed enough money to pay his asking price (just in case) and headed out the door. Car looked amazing as I walked up on it. Not a show car but a nice 20 footer. The only downside I could find with my inspection was when he said it needed a top he meant it. There was no top frame and no windows. The only thing above the top of the door was the windshield. On the plus side the underneath was very nice. I asked how that happens? He explained his wife worked at a bank, the car was a repo in a divorce case. They had to drag it out of the garage. When he got it there was no exhaust or carburetor. He got a friend to put those things on and fill it will oil. His friend believed it was a new engine that had never run and put it though the Cam break in cycle just in case (well done Sir). Of course he had no way to prove it and he was not sure IF it was a real RS/SS. I drove it and it drove really nice. Normally I haggle over a car for a while this negotiation lasted less than 30 seconds. I said look I know you said it needed a top but this is a lot more work then I was hoping for. Would you take 6k for it? He said how about $6,500, My hand was out before he finished the hundred.

It was a 4.5 hour drive home I stopped several times checking things. No issue with the car but I got the worst sunburn on the top of my head and my face. It was the first time in my life I was smiling with a nasty sunburn. To this day my wife reminds who found the car, to this day it brings a smile to my face.

I spent about $2500 getting the parts I needed to install the windows and the frame and have the top professionally installed. Most of the car is as I bought it. In fact it still has the same tires but it looks like they are done due to dry rot and will need to be replaced this season.
The below picture is my youngest (at that time) and oldest daughter. The oldest is now 25 and the youngest is 16.

Name:  Camaro67.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  72.9 KB

This photo is this summer 15 years later
Name:  100_1009_zps0f8a5419.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  164.2 KB

Old 07-24-2013, 09:56 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

BTW, The 68 is sick and a 96 Y-87 RS for us V6 4th gen guys that about as good as it gets. I got no problem losing this one.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:05 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It was a toss-up, but my vote went to Gorn. It's an awesome ride, and I figured I'd throw him a bone for all the times he's helped me out over the years haha

Old 07-27-2013, 11:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I love the 1st gen's and my vote would have to be for the '67. Mostly because I'm partial to them and know how hard it is to find a decent one now. I think it's great that you've kept it for this long. They become part of the family after a while and I've turned down ridiculous offers on my cars because of that reason.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:52 PM

WOW! I just got back into town and noticed I was recommended for ROTM! THanks guys! Here's the history...

Well, I've owned her for 20 yrs. She started out as a replacement for my first car (also a '68 vert) that we had to sell when my wife and I got married... fast forward 9 yrs and my wife found her in Miami, just after Hurricane Andrew and we bought her. Over the years I have had many other first and second Gens, but the 'vert remained part of the family. She's been through a few upgrades, a "frame-on" restoration back in the late '90s, etc... But she took a turn in '2010 when the new Fifth gen came out! I was just back from an overseas tour when I announced to my wife that I wanted the "new" Camaro... she said, "finish the one in the garage first!"... That was when we decided to go the "pro-touring/ Resto Mod" route.. I found a wrecked '09 Vette, grabbed the engine and associated gear, then had a great shop (ScreaminPerformance) do the work... Well, what started out as a "bolt-on" project soon turned into a full frame-off restoration! This was due to many years of South Florida salt-n-sea! A three month project soon turned into 18 months!

This journey has taken over 20 years to get her to this stage! That is why my wife called her project "Pro-crastination"..

Now I have a classic that cruises down the highway at 90+; can run with brand new cars; and still gets 20+ MPG! Please take a look at the link in my signature block for 600+ pics of the transformation! I hope you enjoy the pics..

Attached Thumbnails July ROTM Vote Thread, Convertables-68-vert-1994-first-day.jpg   July ROTM Vote Thread, Convertables-68-vert-1998.jpg   July ROTM Vote Thread, Convertables-1st-day-screaminperformance.jpg   July ROTM Vote Thread, Convertables-lake-washignton5.jpg   July ROTM Vote Thread, Convertables-ls2-camaro-033.jpg  

Quick Reply: July ROTM Vote Thread, Convertables