Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

turbo or supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Default turbo or supercharger

which one should i run i have an 95 z28 with the lt1 and does any one now where i can get a kit for it? thanks.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:06 PM
2nd Gear member

A turbo gives you some lag, runs off of exhaust and therefore requires mods to the exhaust system for install. Not to mention all the piping for inlet, innercooler and exhaust.
A supercharger would be much easier to install, pretty much bolt on. Since it is belt driven theres no extra piping.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i have a turbo on my truck which isnt the same as a car but it doesnt lite until 1500rpm.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes

my turbo on my truck doesnt light until 1500 rpm which its different from a car but still turbos dont have instant spool like a supercharger

Old 05-31-2011, 02:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm thinking of going with turbo on my lq9, coz i i think it's cooler 

Old 05-31-2011, 02:17 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Both turbo and superchargers require you to build the engine you'll need to lower the compression ratio to keep from throwing a rod you'll also need forged internals turbos do have lag at low rpms but who needs boost for traffic also turbos recycle exhaust gases to spool and a supercharger uses engine power also you'll need to remove the ac as you'll actually want a procharger and yes you'll still need to pipe to an intercooler and then to the intake which intern will create some lag its pretty much up to you which do you prefer which will make the most power for the least money

Old 06-13-2011, 06:20 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

This is retarded. Sorry this has been talked about 10000000000 times on every forum known to man. If you have to ask this question then dont waste your time trying to build the car because i am sure the next thread is going to be. (budget or cheap forced induction) If top end is not your main concern then you can have a turbo set up with basically no lag.

I am sure some one out there is shaking there heads. Perfect example was my old 60 trim set up. The car would flat line above 5500 RPM's and feel like it was hitting a wall due to the small turbo. However at the same time i could hit 10 psi by 2400 rpms making 507 torque at the rear wheels with a 4L60 and 12 bolt. That set up actually made more torque then the BB T76 that came latter. When you think of a LS1 or a LT1s power band its a little higher then that to start with. I was also able to cut a 1.6 60 with stock suspension and 315 MT DR's on that same set up. This was also with 3.42 gears and a 3200 stall converter so nothing crazy by any means. Now if you are going for more top end like i did after a while you go with a bigger turbo. The result was 80 more horsepower but i lost a good bit of bottom end. Once she started spooling it was on but the 60 trim was by far more responsive and a lot more fun to drive on the street imop.

Keep in mind we are not 130 cubic inch 4 bangers trying to spool a caterpillar turbo. Our engines produce a lot of exhaust pressure and make a lot of torque low in the power band. This means that whats considered large for say a built SRT-4 or cobalt can be a smallish turbo on a stock LS1. For example a 60-trim with a .96 AR on my friends built TC with a forged bottom end, tread stone turbo, big intercooler, and meth injection was basically the same turbo i was running on a bone stock bottom end LS1 with 100K on it. And guess who was still making 50 more horses and 100 more torque.

With todays turbos and technology you can have a turbo that produces basically no lag on our cars. I mean when you can hit full boost by 2500 RPMS's the turbo is spooled up before the engine is even in its full power band yet. Also some times Lag can be a good thing. Your not going any where if you cant get traction and the delay or lag you get from a turbo can be a lot more forgiving then say a nitrous hit or even a supercharger (talk to the 03-04 cobra guys if you dont want to take my word on it) Also that so called "lag" can help protect your drive line since its a smoother transition into power.

But thats just my 2 cents. Rant off now.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:49 AM

I would go with a supercharger much easier to install and gives you instant power.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:53 PM

I am a firm believer in larger displacement motors (such as ours) should strictly be supercharged! The lag alone would drive me insane

Old 07-14-2011, 07:22 PM
2nd Gear member

I'm going to 2nd what cbr said, just shorter post lol. Why do you need boost at low RPMs when 4th gens already have more than enough torque stock on the low end. By the time you get the RPMs past the highest torque power band, it will be spooled up and the boost will be there.

And recycling the exhaust is better and more efficient. Since a SC is belt driven, it is putting more of a load on the motor just to make more power. I'm more of a turbo guy as well, and they can be done for cheaper.

Quick Reply: turbo or supercharger