Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

1996 z28 LT1 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Default 1996 z28 LT1 Turbo?

So ive been looking into making my own rear mount turbo system for my LT1, But i have some questions.
1. How many pounds of boost can a stock L1 run without worrying about blowing the whole thing apart?
2. Will i need to tune it after adding the turbo?
3. Kinda confused on this but is a BOV the same as a Wastegate?
4. How would one set the boost on the turbo?
Also please add some other info that you may think i should know
Please and thanks in advance :P

Old 08-26-2012, 10:16 AM
2nd Gear member

You'll want to tune it, and the waste gate is located on the exhaust mani or turbo to open when I've reached your desired psi, u set it with a manual boost controller setup, and u also need a blow off valve on the

Old 08-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by Norfolk96z28
So ive been looking into making my own rear mount turbo system for my LT1, But i have some questions.
1. How many pounds of boost can a stock L1 run without worrying about blowing the whole thing apart?
2. Will i need to tune it after adding the turbo?
3. Kinda confused on this but is a BOV the same as a Wastegate?
4. How would one set the boost on the turbo?
Also please add some other info that you may think i should know
Please and thanks in advance :P
1. not much maybe 5-7lbs you want low compression for boost and the lt1 is a high compression engine
2. youll defiantly want to tune, your going to need to run bigger injectors along with some other upgrades
3.a bov is used to release the boost pressure from the piping and intercooler when you close the throttle, a wastegate is used to limit the boost by bypassing the compressor in the turbo
4. you need a boost controller, it adjusts how much boost pressure goes to the wastegate. so if you have a 7lb wastegate you set the boost controller to say 12 it will make the wastegate think your at 7 by venting boost from the wastegate and allowing you to boost to 12

youll really want to get a fuel and timing controller, thats what me and my buddy are using to tune our 91 turbo miata. ill take some pics tomorrow when i go to work and post them up for you.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:31 PM

thanks, and I know when I read on junk yard turbos.com it said I could run 3lbs of boost without a tune or bigger injectors. But they did recommend a tune for Max rwhp. And if I do do this ill build the whole setup then install then ill have to haul it 120 miles to get it tuned

Old 08-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

the little power youll get from 3lbs of boost isnt worth all the work and money its going to be. believe me im doing it on a 4 cylinder with ridiculous amounts of engine bay room and its still a pita, i could only imagine how hard doing this is on the LT1.

also i didnt work on the miata today so mo pics but next time i get a chance ill get some

Old 08-28-2012, 04:15 PM

The thing is that at 5lbs of boost the lt1 gains nearly 100 horse to the rear wheels. And I can find turbos around locally for only a couple hundred and then I could order the piping online. Plus I'm planning on running a rear mount turbo setup.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:41 AM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

There is nothing cheap or easy about going turbo on a LT1 set up. The stock pistons and ECU are not as boost friendly as the LSX cars so that will limit you faster then any thing else. 6-7 pounds is normally safe with good tuning and will net you 100hp if properly tuned. However if it is not tuned properly you could turn your motor into a paper weight even at 1-2 pounds.

If this is a automatic you will also want a converter most likely.

And if you have high mileage or any oil consumption it may be a no go any way.