Bill Ford's future of coordinated networks of self-driving cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Overdrive Member
Thumbs down Bill Ford's future of coordinated networks of self-driving cars

Bill Ford, Exec. Chair of Ford Motor Co. raves: Tech will be in the driver's seat, steering the auto industry into a future with coordinated networks of self-driving cars. Without it, expect "global gridlock" to paralyze cities.

Wow, how BORING THAT WILL BE! Can anyone imagine a "self-driving Camaro"?!

Bill Ford: Computing tech will upend the auto industry | Mobile World Congress - CNET Reviews

Old 02-27-2012, 10:53 PM
The Mustang Hunter

[discussion] Yes, I can. For 95% of drivers, that is desirable and safer, since most people can't drive. The rest of us 5% will have to take it to the track. Where we should be if we are gonna drive fast. [/discussion]

x01660

Old 02-28-2012, 01:12 AM
Overdrive Member

^ No, that is not freedom. Let's make robots out of everyone?! What is this, the Clone Wars?!

Old 02-29-2012, 02:59 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

This is the Clone Wars? I call being a Jedi General who survives order 66!

Old 03-01-2012, 11:24 AM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

Simple answer and solution to your constant ranting about robots and government taking over your life tinker bell: Don't want a robot to drive for you? Dont buy a car. Don't like the US government? Move to another country. Dont like anything that doesn't go your way? Make sure that you are not the only noob that thinks the same way about a matter because numbers do add up at the end. I understand you would not want for stuff to happen but you will have to face it. Technology is going to make us more and more lazy and dependent on it.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I watched at CES as they unveiled more Facebook apps in your car - There are drivers now that can't sit still and have to be ****ing around with gadgets the whole drive. How about we up our driving license standards so that you have to actually have common sense to drive.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:12 PM

Like hell I'm letting Skynet in my car...

Old 10-19-2012, 11:13 PM
1st Gear Member

It all sounds great until that "car" decides to drive straight after a road as a detour set up/shut down and your a sleep. I could see a 100 problems with self driving cars(anyone think about weather? ice, snow, floods).

I'll stick with driving myself, I'm not to lazy to turn a wheel and push a brake or gas pedal.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

My '96 is one of the most 'electronic' cars I have ever owned.... VATS, PW/PDL/Auto Trans/ BCM/OBDII....

I much prefer 4 barrel carbs, point-coil ignitions, manual trans without a syncroed 1st gear and a real clutch linkage..... where you really 'felt' the road under you.

Folks who grew up learning to drive with 4 wheel drum brakes withe no power assist & power steering by 'armstrong' tend to be 'better' drivers when others are around.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jim in Indy
My '96 is one of the most 'electronic' cars I have ever owned.... VATS, PW/PDL/Auto Trans/ BCM/OBDII....

I much prefer 4 barrel carbs, point-coil ignitions, manual trans without a syncroed 1st gear and a real clutch linkage..... where you really 'felt' the road under you.

Folks who grew up learning to drive with 4 wheel drum brakes withe no power assist & power steering by 'armstrong' tend to be 'better' drivers when others are around.
You pretty much described our farm trucks back in the day.. It made me love power steering more now