LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

water pump shaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 10:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default water pump shaft

about how long do the water pump shafts last before they start makin noise? i replaced my like 5k miles ago and i got bad lifters which im replacin soon here but the damn sound sounds like the water pump shaft did before when it was bad and it sounds like its comin from around the water pump/timing cover. i hate LT1's

Old 10-23-2006, 01:44 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: water pump shaft

Could be that the pump is bad, never heard of the shaft going bad.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well the pump is new too. see i replaced the pump because i was changing the opti. and i put a new pump on. then i changed the shaft with a new one. so i had a new pump and new shaft. but since then the water pump has been takin off a number of times. and i think it could have damaged the shaft. so idk because before when i replaced the shaft it made the noise go away. but maybe it could be the water pump. i dont know but is there a "high performance" water pump shaft that i could buy or are the stock ones good enough?

Old 10-25-2006, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

The splins on mine were rusted and worn when I replaced mine at 160,000, but I put an electric pump back on. If you still getting noise after the lifter swap try summit's electric pump part# sum-314351. It will save you about fourty bucks unless you want a mezeire pump. all you have to do is remove the the center of pump seal the hole in the back with a brass plug then bolt the pump in place of the front cover.

Old 10-26-2006, 01:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

well thats cool. have u had any problems with it yet? is it quiet? does it cool good? has anything leaked out of the hole where the brass plug is? doesnt it add just a tiny bit of power too since there isnt as much resistance on the cam? and about how long do they last?

Old 10-26-2006, 05:19 PM
1st Gear Member

You can hear it when the engine isn't runing. The engine stays cooler than it did with the mechanical. As fare as leaks non. I have the mezeire pump so I can't guranty the summit pump.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:46 PM
2nd Gear member

the electrical pumps are the way to go, specifically mezeire, they hook up to a power supply that turns on when the key is turned, so if you feel you have run the motor too hard you can let it run with the car off. these also prolong the life of the cam bearings, and seal better because there is no water pump shaft. with full bolt ons i have seen gains of about 25 hp at high rpms, and it maintains consistancy of traps.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

alright then ill go with that. cause then i wont have the damn problem again because there wont be a shaft haha. but on plugging the hole could someone send me a link of some pictures or the stuff ill need? is there a whole new timing cover i can buy? and how long do theese things last? and about how loud is it when the car is running?

Old 10-30-2006, 07:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok wait im lost here i saw this site http://www.projecttransam.com/projects9.asp and i thought that there was a shaft that ran off the timing chain that stuck out and that went into the water pump? now that guy didnt talk about this shaft right here http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/t...nts/90631d.gif at the top. i dont quite understand will i need to talk the timing cover off and remove that shaft? or can i just leave that in and put on the electric water pump?

Old 10-30-2006, 07:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok sorry for another post but i looked online and it said that the shaft that sticks out of the water pump and the shaft that sticks out of the timing cover are connected by a "coupler" so basically when i put the water pump back on that coupler wont be there and the shaft that sticks out of the water pump wont be there either instead there will be a brass plug (like sum sort of freeze plug) is that basically it? another thing since the shafts wont be connected anymore the shaft that sticks out of the timing cover wont be connected to anything so then if that was my noise since there wouldnt be a "load" on it anymore it in theory wouldnt make any noise because its not connected to anything? another thing is. since the electric water pump sticks out so far. it would hit where my resonator tube for the 1LE intake elbow is. what should i do about clearing that?

Quick Reply: water pump shaft