LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Starter not cranking/engaging

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Starter not cranking/engaging

I just bought a 94 z28 off a guy, when I bought it he said he thought the battery was low as it cranked pretty slow (almost like a slight grind/growl from the starter). I test drove it a couple times and it always started, but after I bought it I drove about 12 miles and stopped to put gas in it.

Long story short, I shut the car off, and when I went to start it again - nothing happened, except for a light click underneath the dash on the passenger side. I figured the battery was shot so I went and bought a new battery - same situation, nothing happens - no click from the solenoid, nothing.

I jumped the solenoid, after a few tries I got it to at least spin, but the drive gear didn't engage, and it sounded pretty bad.

I'm purchasing a new starter today to put in it (sucks to do in a parking lot), but I'm afraid there is something more going on here than the starter.

Is there anything else that could cause this problem? I know the old starter wasn't good, but if I put this new starter in and it doesn't work, I'm at a loss, and out an expensive starter, and a pissed off wife because I just bought another non-functioning 'project'

Any ideas, or should I just hope for the best with the starter? I checked all the fuses, they're fine. Security light only comes on briefly after they key is turned on (The same with the rest of the lights)

Any insight and or help is appreciated. I have experience with the LS1 (had a WS6) but nill with the LT1.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sluggish turning then dying are classic symptoms of a starter going south. Could be a poor electrical connection at the starter, but I'm leaning more towards the starter itself.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I hope so, because they ain't cheap for this car. Didn't even get the thing home, lol. I was just concerned about the fact that I wasn't getting any response from the solenoid, no clicking, nothing. I just hope it's not also something else electronic gone haywire.

It has several other issues but I'll save those for another thread, I expect to be posting here quite a bit while I get this thing back to how it should be. The PO had put a BBK Power Plus TB on it with a CAI, probably the only thing under the hood that functions normally. What do you expect for $1500? At least it has a good body and interior and it runs, albeit a little rough (sat for months).

If it doesn't turn over I'll be back whining for help in a few hours

Old 06-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I don't spose you have a lot of working room to do this, but as a test you could run jumper cables from the battery directly to the starter, both positive and ground. Then jumper the connections at the solenoid like you did before. That would take any and all doubt away from it being a wiring issue, if the starter still acts dead.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

That's exactly what I'll do, although there isn't much room in that area; if I can just get it started I can deal with the rest when I get it home and put it in the shop. The engine probably needs a rebuild (has some blowby) and judging by the lack of room under the hood, it's going to be a pain in the ****.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Also most of the time you don't need a whole new starter. If you take it to a specialty place that works on starters, alternators, batteries, stuff like that, they can probably rebuild the starter for you.
About a month ago the brush assembly in my starter went bad and got that part replaced and it only cost me $40. Starters don't really totally fail beyond repair too often.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:25 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Unfortunately where I'm at there aren't any places that rebuild starters or alternators. Also, I needed it that day as it was sitting in a parking lot so I ponied up the $170. Got the new starter on and works like a charm. So now, on to other issues. One of the cylinders has blowby so I don't know if the rings are stuck from sitting a year or what, but it's seeming to run a little better with new gas in it. Waiting for my haynes and "how to rebuilt LT1 engines" books to get here tomorrow and then I'm digging in.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:48 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

changing plugs is a long term adventure. lol, good to hear you got er goin

Old 06-27-2012, 09:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah, I saw that, looks like it's going to be a PITA. My guess is they've never been changed and the car has 143k on it. I haven't seen a "Easiest way to change yoru plugs" thread, but I'll keep looking around

How difficult is it to get the engine out of these cars? With the rad and everything in it looks impossible, but with all that out it looks like you should just be able to pull it forward.

edit: scratch that, just found in the FAQ you take it out from underneath the car o.O

Last edited by Ecidemon; 06-27-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I'd drive the car for a little while and see if things loosen back up (like a possible stuck ring, etc.). You did change the oil?

Quick Reply: Starter not cranking/engaging