LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Skip shift ?

Old 09-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Default Skip shift ?

I just bought a 95 z28 6speed and I have read the owners where it describes the skip shift function. I can shift into 2nd even with the skip shift indicator on. From this I would assume that A skip shift eliminator was installed, but would the eliminator turn off the indicator as well, or just allow the tranny to shift into 2nd even with the light on? Where does the eliminator get plugged in at, so that I can verify that I have one. Thanks

Old 09-28-2006, 02:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Skip shift ?

Here are some photos. I have installed many. Some how I belive there is another unit that must control this or there is a known problem with low RPM syncronazation. The unit I belive also controls the lock out from the 6th to Reverse shift. When the unit is removed it is possible to put the vehilce into reverse by mistake rather than hit 6th.

Even removing the unit in its entirety I noticed low RPM sync problems once and awhile (while not a problem most of the time) I was unable to find anything but this unit! And belive me on hard acceloration going from 6th to reverse really puckers up ones ***.... The instructions claim this unit to be bypassed, I found its better just to take it out and plug the hole with a rubber expandable freeze plug. The only downfall is WATCH THE 5th-6th Upshift or pucker up!

Old 10-01-2006, 03:56 AM
1st Gear Member

hey i dont have an owners manual and would want to know what the skip shift mean, thanks

Old 10-01-2006, 04:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I just bought a 95 z28 6speed and I have read the owners where it describes the skip shift function. I can shift into 2nd even with the skip shift indicator on. From this I would assume that A skip shift eliminator was installed, but would the eliminator turn off the indicator as well, or just allow the tranny to shift into 2nd even with the light on? Where does the eliminator get plugged in at, so that I can verify that I have one. Thanks
Sellc that happens to me too, when i shift into first gear i take off and the skip shift light comes on, i can still shift to second gear, but yesterday that i found out that when i take off really fast in 1st gear and try to shift into second gear it does not shift. there is another thread were it says it will only lock at hi rpms.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: camarorz28

Sellc that happens to me too, when i shift into first gear i take off and the skip shift light comes on, i can still shift to second gear, but yesterday that i found out that when i take off really fast in 1st gear and try to shift into second gear it does not shift. there is another thread were it says it will only lock at hi rpms.

That's wierd because the owners manual says it does it under 35% throttle, if you were to only use 35% throttle you wouldn't wait until high rpms to shift, you'd do it earlier because your driving easy. If you get to high rpms normally your putting your foot in it.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:18 AM

ORIGINAL: camarorz28

hey i dont have an owners manual and would want to know what the skip shift mean, thanks
The skip shift is when the car is at operating temp, under 35% throttle and in first gear. under these conditions the tranny will only let you shift from 1st to 4th.