LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

possible blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Question possible blown head gasket?

Well ill try to keep this short. iv been having to bleed the air out of the coolent lines more then i would think. i recently replaced the water pump so i first thought id just had some air left in the system. but i ended up checking the coolant and it was low, so was the reservoir. i added water and let the engine warm up and it just kept bubbling. the coolent still looks green and iv drained the oil and it dosnt appear to have water in it. i havnt had white smoke from the exhaust as far as i can tell ( its winter so its gonna be kinda white but not thick white). im not really sure where to go next as far as checking to know whats wrong.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:16 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

any wet spots on the passenger side carpet? also look under the car where the heater core is and see if it looks like coolant coming out there. theres a drain tube for the a/c and coolant may be making its way out there. do a pressure test on the cooling system and see if your losing pressure. can also track the leak easier that way.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member

well i never did look at the carpet, but i did put a sheet of cardboard under the car and didnt have a leak of any kinda. but if it was just a leak, would it still cause it to bubble constantly? and i feel dumb for asking, but how do i go about checking the pressure?

Old 01-26-2013, 07:40 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by dopez28
how do i go about checking the pressure?
You need to have a cooling system pressure tester. Any auto part store will have them.

How to Pressure Test a Cooling System | eHow.com

Mityvac MV4560 Radiator/Cooling System and Pressure Test Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Mityvac MV4560 Radiator/Cooling System and Pressure Test Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 01-26-2013, 07:49 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

pull the plugs out and have a look at em, look for a clean one. could do compression test on all cylinders as well.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 AM
1st Gear Member

allright well ill start with a cooling check first. and i asked my dad about it and he said it could possible be the radiator cap going bad? i guess i understand the concept of that and just the bubbles i kept seeing was all the air that was still left in the system from being low. but ill go get that and check to see what i come up with. and if it hold pressure good then would that single out the cap?

Old 01-27-2013, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

well i guess my first assumption might of been alittle out of panic. i used the tester and it showed up 3 spots where it was leaking, they were all just fittings on hoses. just took them off and cleaned them and put them back on. brought it back up to pressure and it held good for about an hour. it dropped some but barely any, im assuming just from it settling. so i hope thats all the problems ill have for awhile lol. and thanks craby for the help. you have helped me quite a few times on here.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

test the radiator cap while your at it

Old 01-27-2013, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

i didnt do that but i could, i was told local part stores should be able to test it if i bring it to them?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:51 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

not a biggie but when you get time maybe stop by and have em check it. was thinkin maybe the cap is over pressurizing the system and caused the leaks.

Quick Reply: possible blown head gasket?