LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Overheating at speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 03:50 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
And I asked him that at the very beginning in post #2. He checked and found the bumper cover was hanging down and blocking the dam. Attaching the cover back up didn't help, I knew that would have been too easy.
One of his concerns is the engine getting too hot, 210 degrees. But going to 210, or even a little beyond is perfectly normal with this car. What isn't normal is spewing out coolant. Perhaps it's a faulty radiator cap. What is the psi rating on the cap?
I can't comment on 210 degrees as my Z runs right at around 180 when on the highway or cruising over 30mph, and in traffic in FL it rarely hits 200 as the fans kick on prior to that (my tune)

Last edited by torque_is_good; 10-03-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:52 PM
2nd Gear member

One member in another forum, with a new-to-him 94 and similar problems, discovered that the fans were wired backwards (+ and - swapped) so that they ran in opposition to the normal airflow through the radiator. He fixed it by swapping the wires. Just a thought.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:19 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
One member in another forum, with a new-to-him 94 and similar problems, discovered that the fans were wired backwards (+ and - swapped) so that they ran in opposition to the normal airflow through the radiator. He fixed it by swapping the wires. Just a thought.
I don't know if my 95Z is an anomaly but the fans never kick on if the car is going 25mph or greater and the temp stays at around 180. Of course if the AC is on the the fans are on.

My point is, if he's rolling over 25 mph without AC, his fans shouldn't kick on even if they are upside down and wired backward. Again, I'm only going on the 4th gen I've had for over 6 years but have no personal experience with other 4th gens

I am willing to accept that my car is the exception

I also have a S197 stang which is modified and has a custom tune and those fans never kick on either unless I'm sitting in traffic.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:24 AM
2nd Gear member

One of the reasons that I gently suggested that the fans might be wired backwards was his post from December of last year that stated he had re-wired the fans with new connectors, since they were missing when he bought the car.
He also mentioned that his latest problem occurred in stop-and-go traffic.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 10-04-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
lol. This thread, starts with post #12. Getting the fans to run in the right direction seemed to have fixed it, but his luck didn't last.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:18 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
lol. This thread, starts with post #12. Getting the fans to run in the right direction seemed to have fixed it, but his luck didn't last.
Haha! I knew I saw that somewhere. Had a "senior moment" ;-)

Old 10-04-2015, 04:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok guys, I appreciate all the help on this one as if I hadn't had it I probably would still be scratching my head.

I made 2 trips yesterday; the first was about 12 mi. to town and the car ran just over a quarter on the gauge until I hit town and started slowly rising until the fan kicked on. I was at drive thru at bank and the fan kicked off as it was supposed to. Kicked on and off one more time in the drive thru then ran right at the 1/2 way mark until I arrived home. The second trip had one stop at the gas station and about 25mi. open road driving one way at 55 to 60 mph and the temp never got much over the 1/4 mark. On the way back the gauge stayed just under the 1/2 way mark. Outside temp was around 52 degrees.

So...... I guess the cooling system is now in order. After the car sat overnight the level in the radiator is about an inch or so below the tubes inside the radiator and the overflow bottle looks to be full to just below the neck on the bottle. There has also been no spewing of coolant that I know of on recent trips.

As I mentioned I stopped and got gas which allowed me to figure gas mileage. I got 20.5 with that tank of gas. I would have to say that the most of that was hwy. driving. Is that about normal or should I be looking for more?

Old 10-04-2015, 05:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Good, we'll keep our fingers crossed for you!

Old 10-04-2015, 07:12 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

radiator should be filled up to the rim. do not want any air in the radiator.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:58 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
radiator should be filled up to the rim. do not want any air in the radiator.
somethings not making sense to me (well, that's actually my normal state of mind)

If the overflow reservoir is full, why would the radiator be low?

Should not the radiator "pull" from the reservoir?

Quick Reply: Overheating at speed