LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 01:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default need help asap

I was driving my 95z the other day and it just lost oil pressure and instantly started vibrating very bad, and lost power bad, i cut it off and had it towed home. it will start right up, i know bad idea but i just did it for a sec to see if it would start. Any ideas on what happened and do you think it could be repaired or do i need to start my LS swap earlier then i wanted to. Any help would be great, thanks

Old 06-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Good thing you turned the engine off right away, but damage may have already been done. If you did in fact lose all your oil pressure, the loss in power that you felt was due to the engine starting to seize from excess friction and overheating. To go suddenly like that could have been the oil pump going out. But finding out what happened, and what possible damage may have been done to the engine is going to require a teardown and inspection.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

What i dont get is that when the rpms where about 2000 it had about half the gauge of oil pressure but when i put in the clutch to stop and cut it off the oil press drops to zero. You can turn the engine over very easy with the crank pulley

Old 06-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Ok, this is going to sound like an off-the-wall question, but...can you hear your fuel pump prime on then off when you turn the ignition key on (not start)?

Old 06-20-2012, 05:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes but i know that my fuel pump is going bad, you dont think thats the problem do

Old 06-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You were driving the car, not me. So it's hard for me to say what you experienced. It's possible the fuel pump was overheating and crapping out, and the low oil pressure was due to the engine being on the verge of killing. Again, I don't know what you felt though.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok let me rephase my first statement, i was driving and then the engine started vibrating very bad and lost awhole lot of power, i looked at my oil gauge and it had oil pressure although not as much as it normally has so i pushed in my clutch and oil pressure bottomed out, i let off the clutch and it picked back up so i stopped the car and shut it off. im thinking maybe the oil drive spline might have broke but i dont know if thats actually a reliable theory or not, causing the vibration maybe?

Old 06-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

no if the oil pump drive snapped you wouldnt have had pressure when you let the clutch back out. sounds more like the engine stalled when you pressed in the clutch and "pop started'' when you let it back out.

if you do need a motor LKQ in Greenville has a couple LT1s 200$ plus core plus taxes and fees. you get everything but the accessories and the wiring. shoot me a pm if you decide to go that route ill check and make sure there still there, or ill pull it and bring it to you for 120$

Last edited by BasicConcepts; 06-21-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i guess im just going to have to rip it apart and see how bad the damage is, BC ill keep that in mind, i didnt relize you where that close to me, it will be at least til this weekend before i could tear it apart, maybe longer with the way Bosch is working us to death, but ill holler when i figure out what im going to need, thanks

Old 06-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

ya i live in simpsonville so its even closer than the city. but ya let me know im there at least twice a week if not more.

Quick Reply: need help asap