LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

LT1 Water leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 12:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default LT1 Water leak

Came from school, parked my car, looked underneath, and it was dripping hot liquid - sizzling as it hit the ground. All from one spot. I waited for it to cool, moved the car, and then smelled it. No greasy feel or gasoline smell. It was just water. It wasn't much, just a few drops. Maybe a 3 inch patch on the ground, at most.

Now the car does have a problem of getting a little hot at low speeds and while idling (the needle goes all the way to 3/4). My uneducated guess is that the water pump's about to go out.

What do you think? If it indeed is my water pump, what replacement would recommend that would last me longer and possibly add some HP?

Old 02-27-2010, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member

well try to find out exactly where it is leaking, check all the hoses, the necks on the radiator and all. and if it is leaking out the water pump there is a good chance your opti will be going out as well. and are you talking about its getting hot while sitting in traffic or while driveing? the stock time the fans are supose to turn on is i believe at about 215 deg and thats the spot on the guage they will turn on.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dopez28
well try to find out exactly where it is leaking, check all the hoses, the necks on the radiator and all. and if it is leaking out the water pump there is a good chance your opti will be going out as well. and are you talking about its getting hot while sitting in traffic or while driveing? the stock time the fans are supose to turn on is i believe at about 215 deg and thats the spot on the guage they will turn on.
Mine goes all the way to 230 or so, but rarely goes any higher. It cools down really quickly when I start to move.

Like I said my guess is pretty uneducated, when you said that I suddenly remembered the water pump is all the way in the front...imagine where the front wheels are, go a foot further towards the back. That's where it's leaking from.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:23 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

was it water or coolant? could be the ac dropping sweat. mine does it all the time. the water comes from the condenser or something like that. makes a steam kind of noise. put a paper towle under there and see if its coolant. has the coolant level been low?

Old 02-27-2010, 08:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
was it water or coolant? could be the ac dropping sweat. mine does it all the time. the water comes from the condenser or something like that. makes a steam kind of noise. put a paper towle under there and see if its coolant. has the coolant level been low?
I actually did that right away, smelled it but couldn't really tell. I got a weak sense of smell anyways...

Just checked the coolant from the cap right now, it's still full. So no apparent coolant loss yet.

Should I be worried?

Old 02-27-2010, 08:57 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i think u could tell by the feel of it. antifreeze has a feeling all its own, kinda oily but not, i dont like having it on my skin at all dont like the feel of it. lol. i think the water drips on a cold ac line and hisses. if it was leaking that much in that short of a time then over a day or two u would have no coolant left. if u are nervous about it check the coolant level every day or two for a while and or confirm the water is water and not coolant. from your description i would say its nothing to worry about but should be checked on to confirm.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Ah alright, I'll keep checking on it. Was raining like crazy today so couldn't tell if there was nother patch down there. Thanks for the info man.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

yea, thats what im thinking, and is it on the passanger side of the car? thats where the a/c hoses are.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:03 AM
2nd Gear member

Mine does it all the time. Condensation from the a/c like they said.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:44 PM
4th Gear Member

Now I'm mad

I live in FL and we haven't needed A/C for months. I'm jealous

Yes, sounds like A/C sweat but I think you are just rubbing it in to all of us because the rest of us are FREEZING; even those of us in FL

Quick Reply: LT1 Water leak