LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

LT1 Top end parts...worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 06:09 AM
1st Gear Member
Default LT1 Top end parts...worthwhile?

So, a guy has had these parts listed locally for quite some time. I think his price is pretty high, which is why they are still there.

My question is this. If I can get these at a reasonable price, would I see an real noticeable gains in HP in my car?

1993-1997 350 lt1 - City of Toronto Engine, Engine Parts For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

My current setup is almost completely stock, just CAI, Cat-back and tune...

Opinions?

Old 12-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

He doesnt really say what he whats for it. It will depend on his situation. I would Not pay near the $5500. If you buy these parts second hand then your not going to get the support from the machine shop or the manufacture that he has. So right there is atlest 25% off.

You can tell this guy had a idea of what he wanted and a plan to get there. Unless you conutine with his plan these parts can problematic. Infact on your stock motor you will see a drop in horse power. He has built the heads for high flow. The reason the factory does not do this is because the motor will run like crap at low flow (below 4500 RPM) most of us that drive these car daily would hate this setup.

If you want a car that runs great over 5000 RPMs and you do not care about how it drives daily this would be just your first purchase. To use these parts you need a CAM, A fresh well built motor, a stroger transmission, a stronger rear, a high flow exaust (headers, Cats, Cat back. If you uses these heads without the upgrades you are rolling the dice. You build a motor to work with these heads then you skip the exhaust you could need up with a motor that has less HP then stock.

Last edited by Gorn; 12-24-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:01 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

who did the heads? if heads and intake are done right then yes you should have a good gain. not close to 500 hp though. im thinking the cam is not going to be to streeetable. if heads are done by unknown i would think twice or thrice. if heads & intake are known p&p shop then i would think in the area of 2500 bucks.

good head, intake p&p with bigger valves and cam from lloyd is 2k. he is one of the best lt1 p&p men in the country.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Excellent advice, thanks.

I was hoping for a bargain upgrade...

Much like a free lunch, it's tough to come by.

Not that I need more power, but hey, I'm always open to the idea...

Once the paint is done in a couple of weeks, I should probably concentrate on getting the power I have to ground. It's already super-difficult to get this thing to hook up...

Once I get to that stage, I am sure I will be back for more suspension advice too.

Have a great Christmas!