LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

LT1 rough idle, ticking, poping in exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 12:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default LT1 rough idle, ticking, poping in exhaust

I just had the headers and cut out put on, everything was running great, took it to the track last night made a few passes ran great. This morning everything was running great. However tonight when i started it up it idled real rough, the tach was bouncing between 850 and 500 rpm, when driving it slow a few times it feels like it misses and a few times there was a soft poping from the exhaust. Also with the engine idleign and the hood open there is a soft ticking sounds from the back of the drivers side valve cover. Once the car warmed up the missing, rough idle, and poping at slow speed seemed to go away. Could this be a valve adjustment problem? The other thing is i removed the intake, MAF, and intake elbow several times while i was trying to install an ignition and airflow controller (this plugs into the MAF) for the nitrous, however i did not run the nitrous last night and the controller is not hooked up right now. What do ya'll think valve adjustment, MAF issue, or something else?

Old 09-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: LT1 rough idle, ticking, poping in exhaust

Your plug wires may have gotten roasted by your new headers, a very common problems if the wires are not routed properly and protected from the heat. The ticking is probably cased by a plug wire arching to ground, causing misfires, rough running, and popping in the exhaust. Although the LT1 is notorious exhaust pops, especially when closing the throttle too fast.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

that makes sense, it does kinda feel like that, i'm out of town for work right now, but i'll check when i get home, thanks

Old 09-08-2008, 07:58 PM

i seem to have the ticking also, would you suggest to change the plugs?

Old 09-09-2008, 02:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

after thinking about it, this seems similar to when i had a burnt plug wire in my 72 camaro, and the fact that it is intermitent leads me to believe that this may be the case, i'll investigate when i get home, and ZFITZME, check your plug wires for damage

Old 09-09-2008, 07:21 PM

I have a similar problem. It doesn't idle rough, really, at least I don't think, but under load when I try to lightly accelerate from about 40 to 50 or 55 it struggles real bad and the exhaust pops a few times (number varies on how hard I'm trying to accelerate). But, if I push it to the point where it forces it to kick down a gear, its fine and runs great and real strong. This problem only seems to happen in near 2,000 rpm when trying to accelerate under load. Any ideas?

Old 09-10-2008, 12:24 AM
noz
1st Gear Member

thats right buddy it might be one of your spark plug wires if this is the problem you can actiolly see a lil blue spark at night

Old 09-14-2008, 12:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes

problem fixed, plug wires on headers thanks everyone

Old 09-26-2008, 01:02 PM

I have a similar problem on a 96 z28.I had some headers installed and a few days later I noticed the rpm idle dropped from normal 900 rpm to about 500. Every time I step on the accelerator it bogs, feels like its missing all the way to 2000 rpm, after that the car runs fine. Both cats are off but the o2 censors are still on. Can anyone help with this issue? Thanx

Old 09-27-2008, 08:28 PM

what could of happened is that.. the headers bottomed out... (headers lay so low to the ground) which made it so that the exaust pipes develped an exsust leak.. thats why i never ever perfer heders on a car

Quick Reply: LT1 rough idle, ticking, poping in exhaust