LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Low power, sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 04:20 PM
2nd Gear member

Update. I got the plugs and wires changed on the passenger side today and the O2 sensor. I still have some issues.

1. At idle sitting in the car it's jumping. I feel the car moving up and down. It's worse when the car is cold, less at operating temp.
2. When I give it gas going uphill etc, sounds like there's an exhaust leak. I hear it from the drivers side of the car mostly.
3. Without stepping on the gas and easing off the brake from a red light the car jerks
4. There's a whining sound from the engine when the car is under load at idle. Don't hear it in park or when I'm maintaining speed. (I'm guessing slipping belt).
5. Vibration in the steering wheel but only when turning left and stepping on the gas.

Questions:
I didn't change the wiring harness from the Optispark, should I get a new one? The old one looks a little ratty.
2. Could it be the EGR? If so, should I get a new one or cap it? (No emissions testing where I am).
3. Should I change the engine coil?

Info:
- No Check Engine or service Vehicle light on
- I changed the IAC about a year ago.
- I have the full K&N intake system with the big cone under the drivers side wheel well.
- My intake elbow is cracked and leaking. I used gorilla tape to cover it until I get in the replacement elbow hopefully tomorrow.
- I still have the secondary air pump

Last edited by mrfreez; 05-05-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:31 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

pre 02 exhaust leak can mess things up. check crossover/y pipe connections. you got headers?

Old 05-06-2016, 07:08 AM
2nd Gear member

I don't have headers. From everything that I am experiencing, I bet I have a plugged cat. I only have one cat on the car. I experience loss of power when the car is heated up. I'm going to order one and seafoam the car in the meantime. If the cat is plugged, it will cause the issues I'm having.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:50 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

exhaust seem quiter than normal? hissing noise maybe? could have some fun and unhook exhaust before cat and see.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:41 AM
2nd Gear member

Yup it is quieter than normal and some hissing too. I ordered a new CAT and muffler.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:03 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The test for the cat is pretty simple. If you have access to a welder you can just drill a small home in front of the cat and hook up a pressure gage. I can tell my what the exhaust sounds like after the hole is driller. If you have no access to a welder then you can remove the front O2 and hook up a pressure gage there. Anything over a pound of pressure and you found a issue. To cause the issues you are talking about I would expect 2-3 lbs.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:44 PM
2nd Gear member

I received my Flowmaster high-flow CAT and Flowmaster 80 series muffler today! I don't know how long the CAT has been on the car and I got it 4 years ago. I do have loss of power after the car is at operating temp.

Two Questions:
1. I have a whirring sound coming from the front of the car but only when I'm in Drive or Reverse (engine under load) stopped at a light etc. In Park or Neutral I don't hear it. Any thoughts? PS pulley? Harmonic Balancer? It doesn't sound like a belt whine.
2. What can I use to cap the manifold without welding it? I noticed that there was a cut in the metal line going to the AIR system causing an exhaust leak and it was repaired with a rubber hose. The hose broke and I put another one there in the meantime, but it won't last long.

Thanks for all your helpful insight guys!

Last edited by mrfreez; 05-11-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:33 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

pull the belt off to make sure that its coming from something driven by it. while its off spin everything, alt, power steering pump, etc, to see if one is making strange noises or vibration. could be idler.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:11 PM
2nd Gear member

Update, I put a straight pipe instead of a cat. It will pass inspection here. Put a new Flowmaster muffler on too. Sounds great. A lot of black soot out of the exhaust. I still have some shuttering when I slow to a stop or take off from a light slowly. Not as bad as before though. I think I'll tackle the other 4 plugs and wires on the drivers side and pull off the belt and spin the pulleys to see if there are any issues.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:14 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

bet your 02 sensors are not happy

Quick Reply: Low power, sputtering