LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

how to wire a sub into monsoon system

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default how to wire a sub into monsoon system

I have the factory monsoon set up. Im buying a sub and amp and was wondering whats the easiest way to wire it in? Can i use the wires from the back speakers in trunk area for my inputs into amp? I really dont wanna buy a new head unit (yet). Any ideas or tips?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:35 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You can get a RCA converter which will convert your high input stock signal from any set of stock speakers to low imput RCA output to your amp. You just tap your R/L speaker wires and you'll be set. It'll work but it's not the best for sound quality.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:06 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by greenarrow
You can get a RCA converter which will convert your high input stock signal from any set of stock speakers to low imput RCA output to your amp. You just tap your R/L speaker wires and you'll be set. It'll work but it's not the best for sound quality.
it actually sucks for sound quality. i put a sub in my sisters grand prix with the stock cd player using the converter and the bass was crap (kind of like powering a 1000 watt sub with a 250 watt amp) a couple days later i got her a nice alpine deck and that single 12 was shaking the crap out of the car.

my .02 cents ditch the monsoon system get a nice deck and wire it up right

Old 02-16-2012, 07:16 AM
1st Gear Member

dam, for some reason i thought that i could get away with doing a half assed job,,,,i guess ill get a new head unit too... ill be doing this myself.. any little tips for the install?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

its all pretty straight forward get the install kit and a wiring adapter. the wiring is easy just color to color. and wire the remote wire to the power antenna. do you know how to hook up the amp? whats your setup going to be?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Banned

If anyone has a stock stereo from an f body, I'm looking for the 10 speaker monsoon stereo with the cd player and eq. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2012, 04:49 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by bob97z28
dam, for some reason i thought that i could get away with doing a half assed job,,,,i guess ill get a new head unit too... ill be doing this myself.. any little tips for the install?
You don't have to go with a new headunit, that's going to be more of a pain as you'll need an adapter for it to work with the stock speakers or run your own speaker wires to the speakers. The RCA converter will work if you're only looking for a bass hit, but if you want good bass then you'll need to do it right. Like BC said, get the install kit and the wiring adapter, will save you time and headaches. I do suggest you get a wiring color codes for the stock camaro and when you're putting your new head unit wires to your wiring adapter, make sure the wires match up, don't just go by the colors. Most brands all use the same color code for wire functionality, but just make sure.

Originally Posted by mezzyshredder
If anyone has a stock stereo from an f body, I'm looking for the 10 speaker monsoon stereo with the cd player and eq. Thanks!
Way to hi-jack a thread bonehead.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by mezzyshredder

Old 02-16-2012, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

link to the wiring adapter please?? and 20 plus shipping and its yours (when i change it out) 2 mezzyshreader

Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

well i have pulks in the front doors, pioneers and polk tweeters in the kickpanel... i wanna do polks in the back seat (6.5 right) and prob just 1 ten in the back cause i dont wanna loose the space for t tops and im not gna pay for a stealth box

Quick Reply: how to wire a sub into monsoon system