LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

External Fuel Pump installed in 96 v8 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 11:06 AM
Default External Fuel Pump installed in 96 v8 LT1

Hello all,

I am in need of some serious pro advice please.

The stock Fuel Pump in 96' is fitted inside the tank. However, to my surprise i found out that the bloke I bought the car off, he had fitted the Fuel pump outside the tank (almost right next to the rear left wheel).

The Fuel pump is not the usual tiny one which is fitted inside the tank, it rather is a big fuel pump (apparently a high performance one). Now the problem is, the Fuel Pump has a very high pitch distintive sound (constant sound), which I beleive is a sign of living through its last moments. The fuel pump is dying, few mechanics have said. I am looking for a replacement fuel pump (Note: Not stock, but an external fuel pump for v8) which would suit and fit my car. Ideally a high pressure and high performance (DURABLE/LONG LASTING) fuel pump, but nothing which would cost arm and a leg.

One of the mechanic has advised, to replace it with a Bosch fuel pump for Mercedese 500 v8. Apprently it is a very high pressure fuel pump and has a long life. ???

My questions are :
1) Is it advisable to replace the pump with a BOSCH for Merc 500 v8 ?
2) If not, which pump is recommended ?
3) Would it effect performance (in a negative way) by having pump fitted externally ?
4) Should I be concerened or worried about any other thing which may result negatively due to the external fuel pump ?

Guys, I am a newbee to this forum. I do not only want to rely on what a garage mechanic would say, but am seeking an individual advice from people like you, who own 4th Gen Cams.

Thank you much, in advance for your reply.

Sid (from Kingdom of Bahrain...........Miles away from the U.S) : ), yet very close to the American beauty .

Old 10-14-2012, 07:21 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

car may have had nos hooked to it at one time. do you know if theres a pump in the tank? look to see if there has been a hatch cut over the gas tank. https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...-method-63702/ personlly i would make it stock, car would be worth more and so long as quality pump is used should perform for years. if there is a dead pump in the tank you will be burning up external pumps.

Last edited by craby; 10-14-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:27 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Aftermarket fuel pumps with high flow rating do make high pitched sounds. My Racetronix 255 makes a very distinct noise that you can hear inside and outside the car. I wouldnt worry about it.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:53 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Is this a car you have owned for awhile or is this a car you just got? I would put the car back stock with new stock fuel lines. I am all about saftey. Those external add on pumps are fine for 400+ HP cars what see mostly race track time. GM has done a lot of testing to their fuel line routing to ensure the smallest chance of a major failure. Having Bubba reroute the lines makes me nervous on a daily driver.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:02 PM

Craby.... Cheers for the detailed reply with link.

I could not see any hatch cut out, although, there is a pipe coming out of the tank through which the pump is connected. I will take few pictures over the weekend to share what I see.

Also, I do agree with you and Gorn to fit stock pump, but I have just bought the car 2 weeks ago, so dont really want to fidle around much with it, unless I really understand all the alternations which may have been done to it already.

By the way, I also noticed that the rear tires are from KOMHO low prof tires, which are apprently drag racing tires (295 35ZR18 99Y). One of my friend is convinced that the previous owner disconnected the fuel pump from the tank to prevent any gas explosion or disaster, should the car get hit from rear...... I personally dont know about this logic so unsure how to react to this ?!

Action I have taken : I got an extra (used) V8 Merc 500 BOSCH fuel pump with the car which is being fitted as I type. So fingers crossed. I hope it wont impact the performance in any way. Pictures will be uploaded for detailed illustration.

Socom....... It is not only the sound, but the fuel pump is heating up after having the car driven for more than 30 minutes. If I turn off the car and turn it on again, it goes really shakey and wouldnt start for at least 10 minutes, untill the pump cools down. After market pump may sound loud but the one I have is certainly living its last moments.

Cheers for your valued input, All. Many thanks

Old 10-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Pick one:
1) The stock in tank fuel pump may have died, and the owner didn't want to mess with replacing the original and just installed the external pump because it was easier. Leaving the stock inoperable pump still connected can cause a restriction and make the external pump work harder, shortening it's life.
2) The previous owner purposely installed the external pump to do away with the in tank pump, whatever his reasoning was.

All fuel injected cars since the 1980's have had in-tank fuel pumps. It won't cause the tank to blow up, even in a crash.
Also, does your fuel system still have an operating return line? A return gives relief to the pump motor by returning unmetered fuel to the tank (to form a loop), instead of having the fuel get stonewalled at the end of the line. Generally, a pump without a return in the line will work harder, run hotter, and live a shorter life.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 10-16-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:53 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

your welcome princes thats what we are here for. socom i have a in tank granatelli 255 thats quite.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by craby
your welcome princes thats what we are here for. socom i have a in tank granatelli 255 thats quite.
Hey Craby,
Just want to clarify that my user ID is meant to be PrinceSid. Not Princes : ).
I dont blame you for the confusion though, have already asked the MOD to amend my user ID.
Cheers
Sid

Old 10-17-2012, 09:15 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

lol, sorry about that, nj has not been around so it may take some time to get it done so please be patient.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:25 AM

Lads, just want to update you all.
So I finally ended up fitting Fuel pump of a Merc v8 500, and guess what ? it works a treat. What i gathered is that there is a dead pump still in the tank, but to get it taken out, apprently it is a 5 to 6 hours job, as all the exahust system (in my case, Magnaflow) needs to be taken apart to reach the gas tank. I am not really sure if I want to go through this now.

Atleast, the constant/distinctive sounds has gone now and the pick(acceleration) of the car has significantly imporved.

Cheers for your help, all. Will certainly seek your advice/help, should I need again.

Quick Reply: External Fuel Pump installed in 96 v8 LT1