LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Airbag light help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Default Airbag light help!

my airbag light is on and dont know what it could be. car was never in a accident. i already checked the fuse and dissconnected the battry over night. still is on, does anybody know what else it could be?

Old 03-20-2010, 10:47 PM
2nd Gear member

You could have a problem with either the sensor in the front of the car or the bag itself. The light should come on for a second or two when you turn the key on, until the system checks good. Not sure how to check them out though.

Definitely somthing that I'd want to check out and get fixed ASAP. The last thing that I would want would be for the bag to deploy when NOT in an accident.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:22 AM
4th Gear Member

I believe the airbags will set codes in your computer but will not cause the SES light to come on. MIght want to scan it for codes to see where it leads you.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Also, when the airbag light is on, the system is disarmed.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

sometimes airbag sensors go bad.. A cause for this is when a car is left with a dead battery on over a long period of time.. i dunno the link to why it does, someone said its a internal memory that can provide information after a incident.. not sure if its true.. but i guess when your batt dies and isn`t charged up for a length of time, the sensor goes bad..

Don`t quote me.. just throwing it out there.. when it comes to airbag lights, so much can make em turn on.. bad soder point for example.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:23 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by midrange
sometimes airbag sensors go bad.. A cause for this is when a car is left with a dead battery on over a long period of time.. i dunno the link to why it does, someone said its a internal memory that can provide information after a incident.. not sure if its true.. but i guess when your batt dies and isn`t charged up for a length of time, the sensor goes bad..

Don`t quote me.. just throwing it out there.. when it comes to airbag lights, so much can make em turn on.. bad soder point for example.
maybe that is why my airbag light is on. The car has been sitting since September without the battery while we were removing the engine and getting it all put back together. Yeah I know that was a long time but deer season only comes once a year!

Old 03-21-2010, 10:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

MMMMMMMM venison..

Old 03-22-2010, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member

ok since none of that makes any kinda sense check the code that the airbag control module is throwing my guess is that the clock spring is bad because you over rotated the steering wheel its and easy fix just expenseive to get the bad thing is the only place to get one that i would trust is the dealer so to replace it dissconnect the battery and pull he fuse let sit for a half hour or so then center steering wheel then pull the bag out of the steering wheel and remove the steering wheel its self the there will be this black plastic circle with a yellow sticker on it thats the clock spring pull it out DO NOT i repeat DO NOT twist the clock spring because you will end up with the same problem if you do so after you change the spring reassemble and the airbag control module will self test and clear the light when the problem is fixed good luck to check the code take it to a shop the scanner at auto zone will not work

Last edited by camaro_junky24; 03-22-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by midrange

the thing is that sensors dont just go bad when they do you wont find out till its to late anyways