LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

95 z28 want to buy... but has "r title" in PA PLEASE HELP NEED ADVICE...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Default 95 z28 want to buy... but has "r title" in PA PLEASE HELP NEED ADVICE...

hello, my friend has a 4th gen z28 that i really love and so i've been looking around for one for sale that someone needed to sell for cheap... i found a guy who is selling a 95 green z28 that looks emaculate but he only wanted $3k for it. i knew something was wrong and turns out it has an "r title" in pennsylvania.... according to the seller, it means it was in an accident and reconstructed to a good condition basically? however, he says he bought it with the r title, just needs money, and it runs fine. oh yeah it only has 74k miles on it too...

any opinions on this car? me and a friend are giong to check it out in person this weekend....

any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:23 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Take it to a body shop and have them point out where it was hit and figure out if the body is straight. If the body isn't straight, you'll have problems and problems with it driving straight and wearing tires correctly. Totaled cars can be fixed right and turn out great, but you must check that it's stright.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:52 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mamoth713
hello, my friend has a 4th gen z28 that i really love and so i've been looking around for one for sale that someone needed to sell for cheap... i found a guy who is selling a 95 green z28 that looks emaculate but he only wanted $3k for it. i knew something was wrong and turns out it has an "r title" in pennsylvania.... according to the seller, it means it was in an accident and reconstructed to a good condition basically? however, he says he bought it with the r title, just needs money, and it runs fine. oh yeah it only has 74k miles on it too...

any opinions on this car? me and a friend are giong to check it out in person this weekend....

any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
1: only go and check out the car if you are financially capable of closing the deal right then and there. That carries more weight. Tire kickers do nothing but insult sellers as they are wasting the sellers time

2: forget the friend, unless he/she is a reputable mechanic or has much experience with cars

3: bring along Dad or other adult relative. They will keep your emotions in check and focus on it as a vehicle purchase, not something that you just have to have.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:08 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^good advice

Old 04-01-2009, 03:58 PM

for whoever's information who may read this...

*i called my insurance company and they said they would have no problem insuring the car for the roads as long as it passes inpsection and is safe... (some people online claim to have a harder time getting insurance for a reconstructed vehicle)

*i called the pennDOT (pennsylvania's dmv) and they explained to me that a car in a flood, crash, or stolen is given a "salvage title" meaning it is in a bad coniditon... then if the car is redone back up to good condition its inspected carefully to make sure all the systems work and are safe.. once thats done.. the car is given an "r title"

hope those 2 calls help anyone like myself who were really confused reading about this matter on the internet...

anyway...
yeah... i'm pretty good at keeping a focused mind and not just buying it because i need it. also, yeah i do have the funds to buy it right now so i'm a serious buyer, not lookin for joyrides... has anyone had experience buying an "r title" or "reconstructed title" car with a good outcome??

Old 04-04-2009, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

My sis bought a 94 v6 with an "r" title the only thing was they did a cheap paint job. The car was orig black. In about a year the paint started to chip around the door the black paint underneath was still as shiney as the day the spraid over it. but if thats all you can find wrong with it you got a good deal

Old 04-11-2009, 01:14 AM

hahah so it turns out the guy told me to call him last saturday... call him and he says we could meet 9am sunday morning and for us to call when we get into his town to find a place to meet. i agree. the next morning me and my friend go to the town and are even a little early by 10 minutes... call the guy. ... no answer... no biggy go to mcdonalds for some breakfast....

4 hours later of calling him...... still no answer and we end up going back home.. so we just drove around all the back roads of the town ahahahah it was fun driving with my friend in his z28 but it was such a joke this guy totally stood us up and has still to this day not asnwered his phone nor contacted me in any form.. i didnt know people this stupid still existed...

Old 04-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You didn't know people this stupid still existed?
You talk as though society is getting better and people are becoming more considerate.
I find it's always better to call the person right before hitting the road.
For all you know, he probably already had it sold. And people aren't always very good at letting you know what's going on.
I've had my fair share of situations like that. The ironic part is, I'll bet the type of people who pull that kind of crap, really hate it when someone does it to them.