LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

93 Z28 Won't Turn Over

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Default 93 Z28 Won't Turn Over

Hello everyone, first post and needing some help.

I have a 1993 Camaro Z28 that i have been driving for several months without any problems. About a month ago though it stopped starting at all, as in turn the key and nothing happens, no noises or anything. i had another beater to drive at the time so i didn't think much of it. Two days later i tried to start it again, and it fired up without any problems at all. Ran fine for another couple of weeks.

Now however as of about 2 weeks ago its doing the same thing it was before. its been 2 weeks and the problem hasn't gone away yet like it did before. so i'm guessing its not gonna fix itself this time.
any advice that anyone can give would be appreciated. i would take it to a mechanic but i'd hate to pay for the tow there and the fix itself if it was something simple.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:31 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so do the dash lights come on and everything else work but the starter.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by craby
so do the dash lights come on and everything else work but the starter.
Yeah, Everything comes on. The lights, fans, stereo etc. I also forgot to mention, i know the ignition keys for these cars have chips in them. I have also tried the spare key with no luck.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check and wire brush the battery conections, both battery and cable. unhooking the battery will clear the cars memory of trouble codes so check to see if there are stored service codes before disconecting the battery. if its not the battery conection and you want to go the next step, take the starter out and have it tested. could be selonoid. while your down there check for juice and condition on the main cable to the starter. if you have a buddy around put a test light to the smaller wire and have him turn the key to start, see if it gets juice. be very carefull with the wires while the battery is connected. i put a rubber glove or something like that, peace of heavy plastice doubled, and tape it on the end of the main battery wire. or just a good tape job.do this so theres no chance of a short. easy to burn the wireing if your not carfull so be under there with the test lite and ready so when the ignition is turned on and to the start position the little wire dosnt short either. u may want to check these wires first before taking the starter out to be tested.

ps the cable for the starter is hooked up to a distibution box it could be in that. little red platic deal with wires coming out of and into. its on the passinger side fender next to the battery. check and clean the wires on it i dont think its at the battery or nothing would come on.

Last edited by craby; 04-10-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: ps
Old 04-10-2009, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try and see if i have any luck.