LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

1994 Tune Ups

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 03:56 AM
Default 1994 Tune Ups

Hi, I was going to tune up my car today with my dad, but he told me that it was very impossible to do with a 1994 with the way they are set up and everything is crammed in the engine. I am looking to get the basics, cap,roter,plugs,wires etc... 2 places we went to said all the parts would have to be on order and would cost $420. So now I have to take it to a auto shop or a dealer and have it done for like $650. Is it that hard to tune a 94? they said you've gotta remove the radiator,A/C,water pump etc since its a Z28? [&:]

Also my car has been idleing very ruff when the underneath part gets wet from a puddle or washing my car. why is this? does anyone know? it's even stalled on me once. I'm not trying to throw thousands into my car right now but I'd like to know if anyone else has that same problem? the guy at the place we went today said it might be my distributor? I am not sure and would appreciate any help or comments. [:'(]

Old 09-06-2005, 04:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: 1994 Tune Ups

yea i donot know much about the 94s but i can help ya with the distributor prob. or atleast give you a bit of info on it whell i know on late 80s cars if you bot watter in the distributorcap it wouldnot fire cause the spark would go to the water and not the rotor buttin and i could see how this could also create a misfire but on a 94 i would thing the distributorcap would be seald so this should not happin well good luck

Old 09-06-2005, 12:50 PM
Tech Droid

Your car uses an LT1 engine, which is laid out differently than regular small blocks. The distributor is mounted on the front under the water pump instead of in the rear on top uf the engine. Your car is equipped with the Optispark distributor, also known as opticrap. Once the distributor gests wet it is ruined and need be replaced. You can buy aftermarket rotors and distributor caps, but they may or may not fix yuor problem. If they don't you will still have to buy a distributor.

The plugs are ***** to change but it can be done. The easiest way I found, is to drop both headpipes from the manifolds, and remove the alternator. Some can be done from the top and others from uderneath. Flex head ratchets or better yet a roto-ratchet are a must.

To remove the distributor you must remove the fans, water pump, and the crank pulley.

Old 09-06-2005, 12:54 PM
4th Gear Member

Well first you don't have have a distributor in the traditonal sense, you have what is known as an opti-spark, and when they get wet they can cause the problems you are having, they are expensive and a bit of a pain to replace. As for you spark pulgs the best way yo get at them is from under the car, the last one on the passengers side is a royal pain to get at. Other than the air filter, PCV valve, plugs and wires there is not alot that you can do for a "tune up".

*Edit. Pete beat me to it

Old 09-09-2005, 12:17 AM

I replaced my plugs on my 94 with my dad, and they are a litte bit of a pain, it help is you can find a tube lying around that is long enough to reach the small areas and fits over the plug. The thing it helps most with is gettin the plug started, once its started you are set. I think it was harder to replace the plugs on my old 92 camaro, rather than this one. thats just my opinion tho.