Activity Stream: Show All | New Threads | New Posts | New Pictures | Popular Threads | Lonely Threads | Vendor Threads | New Picture Comments | New Profile Comments |
Search:  
Go Back   Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum > Fourth Generation (1993-2002) > 93-02 Drivetrain > LS Series Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-26-2010, 06:08 PM
On The Tree
No cars in SS_2000's garage, add now

Default Factory radio replacement

I have a 00 Camaro ssClick the image to open in full size. with the monsoon sound system with the 12 disc changer in the back and want to know if i replace the factory radio unit with a better aftermarket one will i still be able to use my much loved steering wheel controls and 12 disc changer???? Thanx
Old 05-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Overdrive Member
2001 Chevrolet Camaro
My Garage

There are kits out there to keep that functionality, but I have never replaced the monsoon system.

If you are just looking for iPod/iPhone/iPad & AUX inputs, the best option is USA-Spec, which plugs into the CD Changer port, also has a adapter cable which should keep the CD Changer functionality too. I have this for my RS & SS -- works for me.

http://www.usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=25

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 05-27-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:27 PM
2nd Gear member
No cars in montecarlogrrl's garage, add now

There is also an adapter kit available for the steering wheel controls. I haven't gotten one yet but I plan to in the future.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cCL5dma...K.html?tp=3405
I didn't realize how convenient those buttons were til I couldn't use them anymore, haha.

2002 Camaro Z28 [daily driver]
1988 Monte Carlo SS [project in memory of Dad...TPI conversion coming soon]
2004 Honda Civic DX [non-rice econobox]
Old 06-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Overdrive Member
1999 Chevrolet Camaro

I know this is a little old but some stereos come with the control function built in. I just bought a Kenwood KDC-HD545U and there is an input for steering wheel controls. The Camaro uses one wire for steering wheel controls so you should be able to use a stereo like mine without an adaptor.

Massey

Remember Freedom is not Free!
Old 06-19-2010, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massey View Post
I know this is a little old but some stereos come with the control function built in. I just bought a Kenwood KDC-HD545U and there is an input for steering wheel controls. The Camaro uses one wire for steering wheel controls so you should be able to use a stereo like mine without an adaptor.

Massey
Cool thanx for the info. What about for the 12 disc changer?? It can be a pain to have to change the cds in the hatch but it still is plus being you can have 12 cds to go thru with one button instead of driving and changing cds lol. If i change the head unit will that be just for decorations?? lol.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes
No cars in blue_thunder01's garage, add now

If you ever do change the head unit, make sure itll play mp3 cds..i have about 400 songs on one cd..sure beats the hell outta 12 lol
Old 06-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Overdrive Member
1999 Chevrolet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_2000 View Post
Cool thanx for the info. What about for the 12 disc changer?? It can be a pain to have to change the cds in the hatch but it still is plus being you can have 12 cds to go thru with one button instead of driving and changing cds lol. If i change the head unit will that be just for decorations?? lol.

The factory changer unit will only work with the factory head unit. Kenwood and Alpine still make changers if you really want one. The stereo I bought will play MP3s off a mem stick and also off a CD it will also play a Zune, iPod and other MP3 players through the USB port or the AUX port. I have every CD and then some on my iPod so the changer for me is old news.

If you have a Monsoon system you have a power amp behind the spare tire. This amp works well with the after market head unit. I has a minor issue with the way that GM layed out the speekers. The ones in the middle (rear seats) are subs. 6" subs aftermaket are REALLY BIG $$$ so I opted to go with full range speekers there. I had to rewire the outputs of the factory amp to put full range power to the middle speakers. The sub channel was moved to the rear speakers (little 4" ones under the hatch) and the rear channel was moved to the middle and now my system sounds great.

Massey

Remember Freedom is not Free!
Old 06-19-2010, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Lol cool. Yeah i'll end up just doing the ipod hook up. That and mp3 cds! lol. Your right i forgot about them cds. haha
Old 06-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Activity Stream
Activity Stream: Show All | New Threads | New Posts | New Pictures | Popular Threads | Lonely Threads | Vendor Threads | New Picture Comments | New Profile Comments |
Search:  

Tags
2000, 2002, 2010, 99, camaro, changing, factory, head, monsoon, radio, replace, replacement, stareo, stereo, sterio, unit