LS Series Tech 1998-2002

Anti-freeze from my recent radiator flush leaked........

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Anti-freeze from my recent radiator flush leaked........

So a few days ago I got an oil change and they also did a radiator flush which they pumped out the old antifreeze and placed new antifreeze, I was looking at them doing the whole process. So this morning I warm up my car to go to work and it was running for a few minutes and when I went to the garage a good amount of antifreeze leaked. This couldnt come in a perfect timing cuz i start work at 9am and its 8 and it takes me an hour to get to work but had to go back to the shop so I bull **** my boss on the phone and said I would be late ( i cant be late anymore), so went to the shop and we looked underneath, there was no anti freeze coming from anywhere and the guy told me it was cuz wen they did the pump or watever the leftover antifreeze that was left in the tube finally came out. Is this a good logical explanation? Do I have nothing to worry about? I trust this guy in this shop so don't really think he'll bsing. So is this normal? What ya'll think? Cuz so far everything looks good and temperature is normal. So I left the shop and I have about 35 minutes to get to work and I'm double the distance, so I put the SS to the ULTIMATE test, let's just say I made it in time with one minute to spare

Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Overdrive Member

Um.... not sure I know what he is trying to say here? The cooling system is a pretty closed system for the most part with the only access being the res and rad. If there is a hose some where else that holds coolant untill you change it then leaks it all out I would be suspicious of that. Coolant can burn off of an engine and never hit the ground. I would keep my eye on the car and check my coolant level in both the rad and res every day or so and make sure that it is not going down. If it is or if it leaves more on the floor then I would jack the car up where it sits and crawl under to see what is happening and where it is comming from.

Massey

Old 03-11-2011, 08:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, so it happened again this morning, i guess it happens wen the car is sitting for hours, looks like the anti freeze is coming from one of the holes, i wonder if its loose, they prolly didnt secure properly, going back to the shop today. Is something damaged u think? I shouldn't have done this flush, i regret it.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

K so went to the shop and I feel dumb cuz they checked all over and can't find any type of leaks, everything seems fine so they can't really do anything if they can't find any signs of leaks. It's weird cuz it leaks when the car isnt in use for about 8 hours and when i turn it on and leave it run for a few minutes I notice the anti freeze leak for about 5 minutes. Temp is fine and res and rad is fine, still filled to the line. So u think it's just from when they did the flush and its just extra anti freeze or something is wrong? I think it's fine but don't really want this to leak again, will find out again in the morning if it leaks again.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Damn, it happened again, I filmed it too, it's coming out of the tube where they took off to do the flush, I'm guessing it's a loose tube. It only happens when the car is cooled down and hasnt been used in hours. What ya'll think?

Old 03-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I think w'all need to see a pic or the movie to know which tube/fitting you're talking about. Sounds like a fitting or hose is either cracked, split, or loose. Btw, you don't need to start another thread about the same problem.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:36 AM
1st Gear Member

lol my bad I just need responses quick but I'll take the pic later cuz im at work but its the tube thing that's silver and it has radiator on the right side and engine on the left side. I heard when you do a radiator flush, you obviously have to refill the coolant for the entire system. When you start the car up, the coolant expands...has somewhere to go. The system is designed to let extra coolant flow out. Reasonable? Cuz i doubt it's cracked, no need for it to be cracked cuz if it was cracked I'll have anti freeze pouring all day.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:35 AM
1st Gear Member

It's been three days and no signs of leaks, thank goodness. I'm guessing it was a loose hose, but all is good, thanks ya'll.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Good deal!
Here's a good thing to remember too....whenever heater hoses or radiator hoses are removed and reinstalled, be sure to crank all the clamps a little tighter once the engine heats up, they'll need it.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh yea, I clamped it real tight, couldn't tighten anymore lol.