Intake, Headers, and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Help With air intake with ram air hood!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Default Help With air intake with ram air hood!!!!

Ok I have a 97' Camaro RS with a SS ram air hood. I want to put an air intake into my car, or a cold air intake. I cant find a intake for me car. Will I not be able to have one because of my Ram air hood??

Old 03-29-2009, 07:20 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

so its an aftermarket hood? you aren't actually using the ram air? if not, then a cold air intake isn't a problem at all. doesn't use the hood. if the ram air is functional, then its just as good as a cold air intake

Old 03-29-2009, 07:42 PM

yes it is an aftermarket hood, actually its just like yours if yours is functional. And how much hp do you think the functional ram air hood has added?

Old 03-29-2009, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tomplayer105
And how much hp do you think the functional ram air hood has added?
ZERO.

Ear is WHY. You tell me if the engine is sucking in more than WOT ram can push up against the back of an intake valve is where is the popcorn icon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffEaCSHyRYg

I question those mechanic experts around the neighborhood is ram my hood due dee two shoes.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:31 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

not sure why you think a functional ram air hood doesn't add any power? explain...in english

Old 03-29-2009, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

In plain English...

If I have a vacuum sucking thousands of times as in times, 8 cylinders. Did you see how the needle sucked more than what ram could push? Did you see that when I lifted, I pressured the ram on lift? For every action is an opposite and equal?

In other words, I am moving over 100mph and I am sucking in more air than what the air speed I am pushing into >to create a quote, ram effect< is it will not produce double the suck of the engine.
Therefore, to have a ram effect, I need to first match what air is being sucked in at speed, where I would have to double 14.7 to 28 pounds of push. First I match the suck of the vacuum. Now I can push with the other 14.7psi is the pressure behind the intake valve is ram it in dare... You go in plain english.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Paz still lost me with all that.. but all i have to say is that i had a stock hood on mine then changed to the ram air(not an ss ram air though) and i can say that i did notice a difference in power when i was on the highway.. couldnt tell ya how much but i could feel it

Old 05-05-2009, 08:01 PM

I'm definitely NOT taking paz's side, but from what I can decipher of his esl (thats english as a second language...) posts...is that he's saying with 8 cylinders already sucking in so much air...you have to be going really fast to match that, then even faster in order for it to help(push enough air into the intake to make a difference)...therefore giving you more top end power...i don't know why he couldn't explain it like that...

Old 05-05-2009, 09:33 PM
2nd Gear member

I think in plain english he's saying:

As your car is driving, your engine sucks in air to the 8 cylinders. Your car is moving, so it's sucking in the air it's being pushed into. With Ram Air.. it suggests it can push MORE air in. He's saying that there isn't any EXTRA air that your being pushed into. So there's not enough air in front of you to be sucked in, making it physically impossible to push more air in your engine. The video shows the needle is not moving, there is no extra air being pushed into the engine, therefore Ram Air does NOT work.

I think that's the gist of it.. haha or I read that completely wrong.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:04 AM
2nd Gear member

If it didn't make more power, The ss camaro would have the same hp as the regular z28. I think ram air is not only about the forcing of air but also the cooling of it. I'm sure there is more power.

Quick Reply: Help With air intake with ram air hood!!!!