General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

long term storage

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default long term storage

Just wonderin, what would you guys do if you were considering putting a car in long term storage (1 year+ up to 5). I'm talkin about making sure it will run just like when it goes to sleep once its brough back out again.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:59 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

sta-bil the fuel tank, or drain it. make sure the lines are bled as well; pull of the line from the filter, plug it, run the car till it dies (you will have to prime the injectors when its time to wake it up).

Pull the plugs out and put a few drups of oil in the holes (keep the plugs out or replace - no differance)

fresh oil and filter - run for about 30 minutes (do this before draining fuel)

some people will say a few drop of oil in the coolant and ran for a while will coat the water passages, but I think this is more old schoolish.

Drain a bit of the tranny fluid and replace with some conditioner.

Remove battery.

When I deployed to Iraq I had a cavalier in outdoor storage (in Goergia), all thay did was unplug the battery. When I returned, a year later, all I did was plug the battery back in and it fired right up.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:42 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Oh, I forgot... about the tires. Some will say to put the car on jack stands to keep the tires from forming to the ground. unless you think the spring compression is going to be nominal.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Ninja Administrator

I may pull the tires and put it on blocks to keep the springs compressed

Old 12-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Fill the gas tank, and add some Sta-Bil.
Run the engine up to temp, remove the intake tube/air cleaner and spray in fogging oil until the engine kills. Reinstall the intake.
Change the oil and filter.
Put the car on jack stands (by the suspension, not frame) to get the tires off the ground. Jacking by the frame keeps the suspension compressed, and the tires off the ground prevents them from getting flat spots.
Spread moth ***** on the floor around the jack stands to keep mice from crawling up them (they don't like it).
Put plastic bags around the exhaust pipes held with tie straps, to keep moisture and mice out.
Roll the windows up and put a couple of pie tins with baking soda on the two front floors (to absorb moisture and odors).
Cover the car with a breathable car cover.
If in a garage, keep mouse traps set. I already have half a dozen of the varmints on my "whacked list"!
If in a freezing climate, remove the battery and bring it inside. Or, keep a battery tender on it.
If you have a regular battery charger but not a tender, here's a little trick if your garage has an electric door opener. Remove one of the light bulbs and screw in an outlet adapter in it's place. Plug your charger into that, and connect the terminals to the battery. Since the opener light is on a timer, every time the garage door is opened, the charger will give the battery a good 2-3 minute jolt.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:04 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Good call with the fogging oil, I have used seafoam for this too, but it stinks and smokes when I restart it... I usualy forget I used it and get all worried...

Old 12-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Default long term storage

rnAnybody actually done this before or know a thread were they have read or seen it in action, maybe something that i havent thought of yet. How long can you keep a clone in a fridge and have it live?rn

Old 12-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Ooh, I just love riddles! I give up, how long?

Old 12-22-2009, 05:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

You got some great suggestions and hopefully your car will be fine when you start driving it again. Just curious why are you going to store it for so long?

Old 12-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Ninja Administrator

I just dont have the money to run a sports car, a bike, and a truck all at the same time. I put the bird up for sale, but I'm not letting it go (with its brand new valvetrain and trans-back drivetrain) for bluebook lol. Id rather just sit on it till I got the money to enjoy all my toys