General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

keyless remote - reprogram

Old 08-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Dominos Puck
New Formula! Now with 10% more Win!
Default keyless remote - reprogram

I replaced my remote batteries today (with CR2016 3V batteries, the same thing it had before). Well now it doesn't work, even when I put back the old batteries. I'm guessing I need to reprogram.

In the owner's manual it says to use a fused jumper. Is it okay if I just use a paper clip? Would that be risky in some way?

Old 08-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Dominos Puck
Default RE: keyless remote - reprogram

Well, I just tried using a paper clip, and it sparked and started a fire in my camaro. It's practically totaled. The interior is ruined - fabric is all burned and the dash plastic is melted. Luckily, I was able to put out the fire before it reached the gas tank. Otherwise, my house would have been totaled too.

Anyway, I grounded it with paper clip, the locks jiggled, and I then started pressing buttons on the remote. Nothing ever happened. Took out the paper clip, still wouldn't work. Wtf? I was kidding about the fire, btw. I'm using the identical batteries as before, and it worked before, I just had to stand a foot away for it to work. It also doesn't work with the old batteries.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Dominos Puck

Another simple question left unanswered.

But I learned a lesson here. I should try to troubleshoot things longer before I post on the forum.

However, I think it's nice to post a question, and have an answer to it so that when people come to the forum and search and quickly have a solution to their problem. I searched the forum and didn't find what I was looking for.

Here's what I found on another forum (similar directions as to what's in the manual) to program a 1995 camaro keyless entry remote:
1. Turn the ingition switch to off
2. Jumper program connector terminal A to terminal B (8 and 4 for the camaro) "door locks will
lock and unlock in approximately two seconds"
3. Press lock and unlock button on one transmitter. Door locks will lock and unlock in approximately ten seconds. The RFA Module is now programmed for the first transmitter.
4. Repeat step 3 using other transmitter if you more than one transmitter.
5. Disconnect jumper from program connector.
Note: This is for a 1995 model. Another year model might be different.

When this didn't work, I got pissy. The problem was that the the tiny lever things you push on to flick the old battery out were bent down too much to make contact. I thought they were just there to somehow aid in getting the battery out. They're really just positive contacts. I bent them back out, along with the negative contact and everything is fine. I'm a moron.

People: If you think I'm asking a ridiculously easy question, you can laugh, call me a noob, and then tell me what I'm doing wrong. I won't be offended. Otherwise, I'm left wondering if people just don't know or if everyone is laughing at me then clicking the back button.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Are you guys talking about the remote for the door locks??? I programmed mine when I got new ones in 60 seconds. The procedure is in the owners manual. I don;t know what you mean by jumpers.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Dominos Puck

LOL, you said "you guys." As you can see, I've pretty much held a conversation with myself until now.

Yeah, yours was probably different. I searched in the forums before I made in new post. There was a guy with a 96 (I have a 95) and someone was telling him what to do. It was completely different from what I had to do. They were saying something about turning the ignition on off on off, and having to hit lock unlock lock unlock or something like that.

Maybe you didn't have to use a jumper. But I had to jumper the program connector - the plug that's about where your right knee is (in my car). As soon as I did, the locks started to make noise. With my now functioning remote, I bet that I wouldn't have had to enter any pattern on the remote. The owner's manual said to hit any button. EDIT: Come to think of it, since it turned out that I screwed up the battery contacts, I probably didn't need to re-program at all...

My initial question about the jumper was about whether it was strongly recommended that I use a FUSED jumper... I wasn't sure how big of a deal it is. My car's electronics is still unexplored territory (for me). But at work, when I test computer ATX power supplies, I always just use a paper clip as a jumper and never have problems (not a lot of voltage though). Plus, I don't give much of a crap about a stupid power supply, but my car? Well, I thought it was worth a new post. But I went for it anyway.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:42 AM
1st Gear Member

OHHHHHH. OK. I guess mine is different. I don;t have a clue about using jumpers. Hope someone else joins your conversation with yourself who knows about it.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Strange cause I have a 95 with the stock keyless remote and when I replaced the batteries it worked just fine except for the fact that I have to be right up on the car for it to work but that has always been a problem. Any ideas on how to fix that?

Old 09-20-2007, 08:02 AM
4th Gear Member

bust nut on it

Old 09-20-2007, 09:56 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Puck90a

I replaced my remote batteries today (with CR2016 3V batteries, the same thing it had before). Well now it doesn't work, even when I put back the old batteries. I'm guessing I need to reprogram.

In the owner's manual it says to use a fused jumper. Is it okay if I just use a paper clip? Would that be risky in some way?
#1 make sure the battery is installed correctly. LOL

Old 09-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Dominos Puck

Dude I resolved this a long time ago. Old thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: keyless remote - reprogram