General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Gear Ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Default Gear Ratio?

What would the gear ratio be on a base (?) model 1996 camaro with a 3800 v6 and 5 speed (T5 I believe)?

I put one in my 1986 Jeep Comanche, and am changing gears with the truck, looking for performance and economy. my front axle is bent, soI need to replace them anyways.

I have a dana 44 rear axle, and stock dana 44 front, with 4.10 gears...both axles I've refurbished with the intent of running 33" tires on the truck.

unfortunately, I don't have the $$$ for the tires I need (though I have both a 6.5" lift and a 4.5" lift) and am currently running 31" tires on it. I would like to run these tires, with 4.10 gears, and the 4.5" lift for now.

anyways, I'm just trying to figure out what it should be stock (and what tire size stock) so I can do the math and see how far out ahead of the game I will be or not.

here's the link to the truck if you're interested
https://camaroforums.com/m_204366/mp.../tm.htm#204366

Old 05-04-2008, 11:15 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Gear Ratio?

i dont know that there is a "standard" ratio as there was a pretty good variety available from about 2.73 to 4.10. you can tell for sure what was in that car by looking at the rpo sticker in the glove compartment( small sticker with lots of letter and number combos) probably the best ratio for your application would be 3.42 or 3.73 but 4.10 will work just dont count on optimizing your mileage kurt

Old 05-12-2008, 09:00 AM

car is hopefully still at the junkyard...I'll have to swing by there and grab the vin one morning

Old 05-12-2008, 05:46 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JeepCoMJ

car is hopefully still at the junkyard...I'll have to swing by there and grab the vin one morning
The Vin number will not tell you anything about the gear ratio. For a V-6 5sp car the gear ratio was 3:23 open rear. You check for the RPO codes on the car, located on the door on in the center console.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:36 PM

ah. this is why gm generally sucks...chrysler/mopar Vinstell EVERYTHING that went into a vehicle. literally.

funny...i'm not actually a gm man. it's just a darned good motor.

the center console is in a 92 3.4 camaro now, and my friend sold it. so that isn't an option anymore. oh well.

hmm. what's factory tire size?

I can do the math. the truck is running 31" tires right now, so tire to gear ratio being 3.55 gears and 31" tire now, obviously doesn't compute to factory ratio.the larger tire size makes the factual gear ratio more like a 3.07 or something when combined with 3.55...

Old 05-19-2008, 09:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

pull the diff cover and count the number of times the axel rotates compared to the rear gears.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Chappie99

pull the diff cover and count the number of times the axel rotates compared to the rear gears.
it's either or. the ring gear will say the number for the ring teeth and the number for the pinion teeth (i.e. 39 11 which = 3.549 roughly)

so you can either open the cover or do the redneck guestimate-turn without opening it.

problem is, as stated, this motor is now in an 86 jeep comanche pickup...i don't have the camaro axle, or the complete car. the doors were replaced on the camaro at one point so they don't say the ratio either. f-body is in the junkyard, and if i was ambitious i could probably jack it up and crawl underneath to open the diff, but i'm not so it can stay :P

thanks though.

on another note, the truck got hit in the rear left quarter panel again. this time it's probably totaled. not happy since i just repaired the box last week.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:01 AM
3rd Gear Member

so you can either open the cover or do the redneck guestimate-turn without opening it.

SO after you do it the redneck way, I guess banging your sister doesnt seem that bad any more, huh.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:55 AM

SO after you do it the redneck way, I guess banging your sister doesnt seem that bad any more, huh.
not something i'm interested in

anyways, the car's out. i called him and he sold the axle too. it's just a unibody on the ground now (idk why he's keeping it since it's literally JUNK

Old 05-23-2008, 09:25 PM
3rd Gear Member

You should see my sister!

Quick Reply: Gear Ratio?