General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel Pump Push Rod Broken? PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Default Fuel Pump Push Rod Broken? PLEASE HELP!

Hello, I think I either broke my pushrod or the cam lobe is worn. Strange thing is the motor is relatively new (383 Small Block). After storing the car during the winter, I went to start the car and it wouldn't start. I check and noticed I had not fuel pressure. I tested the fuel pump and it pumps gas; the pump is fine. I also cranked the motor and verified that rod is moving. Now, I have a strong feeling there is a gap between the rod and the lever on the pump. I even bought another fuel pump and the same thing. Is it common for rods to wear or break? What about the lobe getting worn?when I took the pump off, there isn't a broken piece of the rod at all...I"m confused and running out of ideas...

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Old 03-15-2007, 11:26 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Fuel Pump Push Rod Broken? PLEASE HELP!

Is it a roller cam?

Old 03-16-2007, 12:11 AM

I just looked at the specs sheet. It's a hydraulic flat tappet camshaft.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:24 AM
3rd Gear Member

how far was the rod moving when you tried it?

Old 03-16-2007, 12:31 AM

hard to say...if I had to gestimate, I would say about half an inch..now that I think about it, it doesn't look like the rod extends far enough to pump..but I'm not 100% sure..

Old 03-16-2007, 12:52 AM
Overdrive Member

Are you sure your filter is not plugged. Will fuel come out through the line? Pick up ok?

Old 03-16-2007, 01:02 AM

Yes, I checked and replace the fuel filter. it's not clogged...thx..

Old 03-16-2007, 01:12 AM
3rd Gear Member

The 1/2 inch of movement sounds about right, check what mike said where do you get the fuel pressure reading from?

Old 03-16-2007, 01:19 AM

Pick upappears to befine. At first I thought that was the problem until dismounted the pump and manually pumped it. I pumped it until fuel came out of the out port on the pump. Note: I also have a fuel pressure regulator inline and fuel went throught there up until the fuel filter, but I have no pressure. It's almost as it's barely pumping at all because at first, I had no fuel in the filter and after cranking it several times, I noticed fuel in the filter..but again, no pressure in the line. I have a gauge on the regulator and on the rail and nothing....

Old 03-16-2007, 01:25 AM
3rd Gear Member

Here is my hillbilly diagnostic methods coming out lol.. crack the line coming out of the fuel pump a bit and have someone turn it over see if it pumps if it does not get a small can of gas place it away from the car and attach a hose to the pump and gas can turn it over see if it pumps if it does that the problem may be a plugged sceen in the gas tank or the the line from the tank maybe compromised. if it doesnt pump its pump or rod/cam related.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Push Rod Broken? PLEASE HELP!