General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Not enough fuel or air which one?

Old 08-12-2011, 04:37 AM
Default Not enough fuel or air which one?

Hey guys so I have a 1991 z28

Ive done alot of work to it

but there is one problem that i just can not figure out for the life of me.

Whenever i rev to about 5500 rpm and shift and go higher speeds than cruising when i come to a stop or when im coming to a stop my car just dies doesn't bog ot anything just shuts off.

I took the air intake off today and cleaned it and put it back on and it was better but is still turning off!

I drove around the block with out the air intake and had no problems.

When i first got the car it had a problem of flooding itself upon start up, the injectors would spit to much fuel during idle and u would constantly have to rev the car whenever it started to die. It ended up being a guage inside the fuel pump the actual pump had burnt right out and was mis gauging how much fuel to send to the engine. Also the thermastate was reading -9 so the pump was also sending way to much fuel because of that but i got all that fixed and the car idle's fine now and starts up right away.

The only problem is this shutting off and i don't know what to do, im thinking about making a custom air intake because the one i have seems to be restricting but could it be not enough air? To a point where that is the soul problem of why the car is shutting off upon being pushed?

(No there is no low set rev limiter or fuel shut off)

Old 08-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

2 Questions...
When you turn the key to the on position (not start) can you hear the fuel pump prime for a couple of seconds, then turn off?
Does the engine pop right off when you start it, or does it have to crank a bit?

Old 08-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 2tirefire
When i first got the car it had a problem of flooding itself upon start up, the injectors would spit to much fuel during idle and u would constantly have to rev the car whenever it started to die. It ended up being a guage inside the fuel pump the actual pump had burnt right out and was mis gauging how much fuel to send to the engine. Also the thermastate was reading -9 so the pump was also sending way to much fuel because of that but i got all that fixed and the car idle's fine now and starts up right away.
You have some facts screwed up. There is no gage in the fuel pump that controls how much fuel to send. The fuel pump always send the same amount of fuel it has only one speed. That is why there is a return line. There is a pressure regulator but that is in the front near the injection system.

Your coolant sensor was reporting too cold so the ECM was opening the injectors too long ( not a fuel pump issue) Thermostat are just there so you have heat in the winter and to make sure the runs atlease so hot. It does not report anything.

Originally Posted by 2tirefire

The only problem is this shutting off and i don't know what to do, im thinking about making a custom air intake because the one i have seems to be restricting but could it be not enough air? To a point where that is the soul problem of why the car is shutting off upon being pushed?
This can be caused by a lot of things but the most common cause are a slow/dirty IAC motor or a sticking EGR valve. Since it is only after hard use I would lean toward the IAC motor. You can try to clean it real well or just replace it. You should clean the IAC post at the same time. Don't drive around without your air cleaner. It is not good for the car and it proves anything unless your filter is plugged.

Last edited by Gorn; 08-12-2011 at 07:20 PM.