General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Camaro won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 05:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Camaro won't start

I went to get breakfast yesterday morning and I shut the car off so I can hear the girl in the drive through. I go to start and nothing,I have power and everything works in the car,it just wont turn over. I bought the car a month ago and have not had ANY problems until mow. I'm going to check fuse first. All fuse are good I've read that the Vast will cause this ???? I've been reading everything I can but its not helping. My wife told me I should of bought a new camaro.........that doesn't help. Does anyone have a good starting point? Elec.is a pita to me. I'm going to get the car in the air to see if I can jump it with the starter.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:12 PM
4th Gear Member

Quick troubleshooting VATS,
Attempt to start engine - no crank.
turn off and remove key.
Wait min 3 minutes and re-attempt starting using the same key.
If starts, then tumbler needs replacing - steering wheel removal required.

Get a new tumbler with key at any GM dealer with key and proof of ownership to you.
If you decide to pull steering wheel, ensure you have radio security code, because battery will have to be disconnected.
Another tip: when pulling out combo stick, limit your distance as you can pull out/strip wires.
Take picture of top of column after pulling wheel off for reference later when assembling.
Wires MUST go back as they are laid out.
Not a bad job, 2-3 hours. Take pictures for reference.
Or let dealer do it.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks Everett#2390, I tried checking it on Saturday.
Here is what ive come up with this morning. The security light go's out before the key is turned. The car has ALL light and function as it should. I don't hear the fuel pump but I cant remember if i did before. It just doesn't turn over or start. Its like the hot lead is off the starter. With that said I'm going to get it off the ground and see. I'm "thinking" it ISN'T the VAST system at all, I don't know for sure,I'm open to everybodys thought.
Yeah I've read/watched a lot of you tube on working on the ignition switch,I've probably replaced a few before just not on a GM. Please keep the ideas coming I'm not working this week so I have plenty of time. I'll start looking for a schematic online or if anyone have a site where i can get one that would be great. I'll have to figure this out.
My wife said...you got a few months out of it,now we have a p.o.s sitting in the drive way,you should of bought a new car.She also said"when you buy used your buying someone else's problems"

Old 12-05-2016, 01:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I've been out side jacking the car up ,man what a pain in the booty!!!!! I pulled the starter and checked the wires,all good. I started to look around and saw where the started wires came down from the fender well. WOW I noticed they had the wires wraped in some heat sheild-ish rubber cover. I pushed it away from the headers. I went and tried to start the car...... drum roll...... it fired right up!
I guess it melted enough to ground the wire and stop the car from starting. Granted i haven't confirmed this by looking at the melted wires but I pretty sure I found the problem.
Tomorrow IF it stop raining I'll have to do some wire repair n lengthening and figure out a way to reroute it so it doesn't happen again.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

better check that wire out closely. if its been against the exhaust then its not happy and is a failure in waiting.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:11 PM
4th Gear Member

Good in finding problem.
What Craby says ...

Old 12-06-2016, 08:43 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah,thanks guys.More then likely I have to replace a good portion of the wire. The guy I bought the car from said the headers were installed in 07 so It lasted seven years or so. If you want something done right you HAVE TO do it your self. Its still raining so no work to the car.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I got the group of wires pulled out that went to the starter. I pulled the heat shield thinking I'll see some burnt wires,NOOOOOO not one as any marks or any sign of a problem. More then likely I'll be tracing the wires back to make sure there isnt some other problem somewhere else. I'm going to reroute the wires,some around the front of the motor and some behind the block that way none will be near the headers. I'll have to lengthen them about a foot.Who ever did the headers half azzz the wires for the most part.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:45 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check the wire going into the connector, they can get weak at the point where it goes from wire to connector. ive had them work when wire was in a certain position and not when not. took it lose and it was hanging by the plastic.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
check the wire going into the connector, they can get weak at the point where it goes from wire to connector. ive had them work when wire was in a certain position and not when not. took it lose and it was hanging by the plastic.
Thanks craby^^^^^Yeah I pulled on each end of the wire to make sure it wasn't broken inside the plastic cover. I'm going to spend alot of time fixing and checking other wires and just go over it all. I like to do things once and do them right.

Quick Reply: Camaro won't start