General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP ME OUT PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Default HELP ME OUT PLEASE!!

Hey, its actually the original silverbullet but i cant remember my password and i'm at work...ANYWAYS, my car, starting to come to work, I was stopped at a red light and all of the sudden I got a STRONG smell of maple syrup (radiatior i think!?!?!) Can someone tell me what some possible diagnosises are??? I hope its a leak or something because I have never smelled it before today. There was also a small amount of steam coming from it. I don't want to be stuck at work all night so if someone can tell me if its driveable enough to make it home (12 miles) it's greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: HELP ME OUT PLEASE!!

May have blown a radiator hose. Fill the radiator back up, start the engine, and look for leaks. If the leak is not bad, you may be able to drive the car, but keep an eye on the temp gage and stop the engine if the temp goes above normal. Bring a few gallons of water with you so you can replenish the coolant.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:17 PM

Just fill it up with water, start it up and check for leaks? Sweet, i'll do that in a littlewhile whenI go on breakand i'll let you know what I found.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:28 PM
2nd Gear member

I dont know anything about your car, but the z28 i had blew the cap off the radiator at a stoplight once, it was because apparently the inside had corroded so it wasnt holding pressure and then eventully the cap just flew off, I guess id say check that, its obscure but start small ya know?

Old 03-10-2008, 02:32 PM

I have a 00 Camaro 3.8, just check the cap and look for corrosion?

Old 03-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Default HELP ME OUT PLEASE!! UPDATE....

[:@][:@][:@] Well, brought it to my mechanic and he said the intake manifold is shot...$700...could have warped the heads which would bring it would bring it up to roughly $3k....Also, he said I need to tow it to the dealership and have it fixed there, because he won't be able to. So basically i'm super pissed, might spend the $3k on a brand new motor altogether and start from scratch...what you guys think??

Old 03-10-2008, 07:41 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: HELP ME OUT PLEASE!! UPDATE....

Wow, how did that go so suddenly? Depends on whether or not the heads are actually warped... did you let it heat up that far?

Old 03-11-2008, 08:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HELP ME OUT PLEASE!! UPDATE....

Nope,gotit towed tothe dealership and they said that its the coolant piping that actually busted and is leaking a lot, so i'm looking at just gettin that replaced and obviously a flush of everything in there thankfully. A lot cheaper than doin the heads, don't know if im goin to that mechanic anymore....