General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tire scrapes?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:34 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Tire scrapes?!?!?!?

This is not about my Camaro. It has to do with my 01 Monte Carlo SS. When I got the car it had 20 inch chrome rims and they really brought out the black. Nice!! I've only had the car for about three weeks and recently I noticed when I have people in the back seat the rear dirver side tire scrapes. Only the driver side does this. The scraping is starting to scuff up the tire. I replaced the rear struts hoping that was the reason but that didn't work. The tire has about 4-5 inches of clearance. Anyone able to offer any help to fix this? Other than getting rid of the rims of course. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Tire scrapes?!?!?!?

u mite just be at the biggest size rim. NO FAT CHICKS!!

try to find out from a rim dealer the max size for a ss monte, or put pucks between the mounts so ur spring dosent compress as bad.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

need to roll the fender lip

Old 03-11-2008, 11:17 AM
3rd Gear Member

Whats a "puck" and where can I get them. I'm a little weak when it comes to suspension. I'm more of a motor guy. I've seen rubber dampers on a few stock suspensions but I didn't know if that was a factory only item or if it be pruchased in the after market. I'd like to at least save the tire from being ripped up on the inner fender lip so I can sell them and get smaller rims. But until I can do that??

Old 03-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sounds like you're right past the limit of what will comfortably fit. I recently sold my 2000 Monte, but I had oversized (wide not tall) wheels and tires on it. It would ride fine, until I had a couple of people in the back. Then I would get a scraping as I hit a good dip in the road, like what you're getting. The problem is the amount of travel in the suspension. If you want to keep the wheels & tires you have, there a few things you can do. 1) don't have anybody in the back seat, or lighten the load, 2) roll the fender lip (hot rod supply companies have the tool, or you could use the old "roll it with a baseball bat" technique, 3) stiffen the suspension. Overload shocks (with springs) or coil spacers will limit the travel, but it will give you a stiffer ride. Can you see on the fender lip how much you're scarfing it by? I didn't haul a load in the back seat very often, so I lived with mine.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:25 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

Sounds like you're right past the limit of what will comfortably fit. I recently sold my 2000 Monte, but I had oversized (wide not tall) wheels and tires on it. It would ride fine, until I had a couple of people in the back. Then I would get a scraping as I hit a good dip in the road, like what you're getting. The problem is the amount of travel in the suspension. If you want to keep the wheels & tires you have, there a few things you can do. 1) don't have anybody in the back seat, or lighten the load, 2) roll the fender lip (hot rod supply companies have the tool, or you could use the old "roll it with a baseball bat" technique, 3) stiffen the suspension. Overload shocks (with springs) or coil spacers will limit the travel, but it will give you a stiffer ride. Can you see on the fender lip how much you're scarfing it by? I didn't haul a load in the back seat very often, so I lived with mine.
It's probably hitting about 1 to1 1/2 inches into the tire on the side wall. Again it only does it on the drivers side not the passenger. We don't have poeple in the back seat on a daily basis only from time to time. Weekends mostly. I'd really like to keep the rims but if I do have to sell them then I'll do it but I'd like to save the tire. Thanks for the help. I think I'll go with the coil spacers for now until I find a better way or I sell the rims.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:47 AM
3rd Gear Member

Ok guys got some coil spacers from autozone yesterday. They are rubber and they'll fit perfectly into the coil. It should only bring the ride height up about an inch so it won't look bad. Didn't get a chance to put them in last night (watching the Suns play the Grizzlies and slamming some beers.) but I'll have them on tonight. Thanks for all of the input!!