Mechanic hints...

Old 08-13-2009, 07:30 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default Mechanic hints...

I think a thread like this would be helpfull. Post up some old school / new school hints and tricks like;

using an old rubber tube on the end of a spark plug to help getting it in and out.

surgical gloves help keep hands clean.

never use a jack as a jack stand.

if you drop a tool it will always roll directly to the most dificult to reach place under the car.

etc...

Old 08-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Overdrive Member

how bout if you replace something and come out with extra parts, you may wanna recheck your work?

Old 08-14-2009, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 02StanGT
how bout if you replace something and come out with extra parts, you may wanna recheck your work?
lol this always happens when I take apart interior parts. I always end up with extra screws that dont fit the empty holes

Old 08-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Left hand drill bits for removing broken bolts. I got a set about 20 years ago cause an old timer told be about it. If you are going to drill a hole into the thread area anyway use a left handed drill. About 80% of the time I do not need to reach for the extrator. The drill itself walks the bolt right out. I think its the conbination of heat and vibration that breaks the threads loose.

On a saftey note. Number one cause of minor injuries in a garage is falling starters. They have knocked out many teeth and broke a few noses over the years. Number one cause of people being seriously hurt in a garage is people trying to get stuff out of a car thats on a hoist.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:54 PM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you have to change a flexplate/ flywheel take out all the trans bellhousning bolts and replace the middle 2 with 7-8 inch long hardend bolts and the trans can be slid back far enough for the work and then just simply slid back into place!! much easier than pulling it out and reinstalling it!! still need to pull the crossmember for this one!
and remember to support the motor and trans as needed!!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:42 PM
2nd Gear member

take a break.... thats my weak point....

dont work while your frustrated with something. tried to reinstall a dizzy in my driveway at night with shop lights. wouldn't start flooded out. pissed off..waited 2 days relaxed. did it first try first key turn....tuned timing in and its purin nicely now. but i easly waisted a good 3 hours in the cold wet outside doing stuff i did in 5 mins in the barn on a nicer day.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Invest in a pair of comfortable safety glasses with sideshields. And wear them, protect your eyes, you only have one set.

"Gorn" pointed out a great example concerning safety and falling objects.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Tech Droid

Watch out for elecrtic fans. In many cars they will go on whenever they get the urge, even with the ignition OFF. Especially cars that use thermo switches to control the fans.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:02 PM
4th Gear Member

for those of you who reside in rust prone areas, keep a torch in your garage. Heating up bolts helps crack through the rust.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
...On a saftey note. Number one cause of minor injuries in a garage is falling starters...
Where I grew up it was being in the flight path of the wrench Dad just launched after smacking his knuckles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mechanic hints...