Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

reverse is gone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Default reverse is gone?

i bought a 95 3.4l a couple weeks ago and it was doin fine until my bro loosened a bolt on the tranny. he thought it was the fill plug, trying to check the fluid, and it was the wrong one. he left it loose for some reason and i drove it a mile. its tight now and some wire next to it was taken out but is now in. i put it in the garage to have him change he rest of the fluids. when i tried o back it out, it wouldnt go into reverse the reverse lights didnt come on and i know it was going in i could feel it. its a five speed with a new clutch, it shifts through other gears fine. i did however accidently touch reverse, got a grind, while rolling back a little bit(4mph) and that might have caused it as well. there is a reverse lock but im not sure it does that or what it does really. if anyone knows the solution that isnt paying transmission guys $1000, please reply

Old 10-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: reverse is gone?

I do believe that he may have loosened the reverse shift lever pivot bolt...oops! And the wire by it would be to the reverse switch, for reverse lights. Might want to do a search online, or find a manual that shows exploded views of the innards of the trans.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

http://www.zbag.com/T-5_Service_Manual_1.pdf

I am assuming you have the T-5 manual tranny.

this site will help you. what has happened is that your brohas dissenged the reverse AND 5th gear fork. punish your bro and have him crawl under the car and BY HAND turn in the bolt while the tranny is in nuetral and you sit nicely in the car and kinda play with the shifter, keeping it in the neutral position till you feel it go all the way into the slot for those gears( maybe listen to some tunes). if your bro says the bolt is stuck, STOP and have him LOOSEN with a wrench. dont force anything. you will know when you have it. I am kinda thinking that if you hold the shifterin the neutral position but far right( like getting ready to shift but not shifting) and slightly moving the shifterback and forth, like mayby a 1/4 inchforward and back, it may work.when the bolt is flush with the case with out forcing ityou wil know you have got it.the previos owners of my 84 had undid this same bolt and led me to believe it was blown up, so I pulled mine out and pulled it apart to find this simple solution, but evenon the bench it took several hours for me to align. once the bolt is flush to the case by hand, then snugg with a wrench, not B4.if you need more info I will try to help you.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:30 PM

now i dont have third i tried what you said i loosend it and put back in but i cant figure it out.reverse lights still dont turn on(the wire is plaugged back in)

Old 10-27-2008, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I was lucky enough to have the tranny on the bench when I re engaged it and it was a pain then. you may have to pull it to get it done correctly. http://www.pomoforacing.com/tech/T5Rebuild2002.pdf
this site might also help. it does a total rebuild of the unit. dont worry about it being for a stang, they are all basically the same, internally.