Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Engine intake swap

Old 02-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Default Engine intake swap

Hi guys I am new here and have a strange question. I have an engine from a 1995 z28 in my 83 c10 pickup. It has been swapped to a carbed engine. I want to go back to fuel injection. I have found a deal on a tpi setup from an 89 camaro. Will it work on this engine or would you guys leave it carbed or what other options should I look at. Thanks

Old 02-27-2015, 06:54 PM
4th Gear Member

Find an original intake if you wanna go fuel injected. They can be had off Ebay for pretty cheap. Anything off a 92-97 LT1 will fit. Otherwise, I'd leave it carb'd. You could also go with an aftermarket TBI system, but they cost $$$. Remember too, going fuel injected requires a new pump and possibly new lines as well.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:32 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

does it have a opti or standard type distributor? 93 ecu would probably be your best match. have to get a custom tune.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:06 AM

Thanks guys for the replies. It does not have the opti anymore it is standard hei. I may just stick with a carb I just really love the reliability of fuel injection.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:36 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

to do it right and get 25+ mpg with 280hp you would need to have a way to monitor the crank and cam, opti does that. not sure how the old style injection did it if at all.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Are you 100% sure this is a reverse flow Gen2 LT1 motor? Maybe someone thought the 95 truck motor was the same as the Camaro? It is a fair amount of work to convert a Lt1 to a rear mount distributer.

The 89 TPI was not designed for 285 HP. When working on a 3rd gen TPI 350 one of the first upgrades is the TPI runners because they are a bottle neck.

To use the 89 TPI you would need to a High pressure fuel system, the Distributer, computer and all the sensor from a 89 car. Expect fabrication, I have never seen anyone do this type of conversion and the computer is looking for 1989 input. The 89 computer tune will not run you 350 well. You would need to find someone to tune on a dyno.

If you can afford a after market computer you may be able to make all the existing parts work together, With factory computers you have very specific inputs required. With most after market system you could have a ford distributer and Chrysler fuel rail and a GM crank sensor and still make it work. Search megasquirt on the net.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-01-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:55 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Gorn
Are you 100% sure this is a reverse flow Gen2 LT1 motor? Maybe someone thought the 95 truck motor was the same as the Camaro? It is a fair amount of work to convert a Lt1 to a rear mount distributer.
Edelbrock LT1 intake manifold, carburetor, and conventional distributor. Not all that hard to do really. Probably the best way to go back to FI would be to reinstall an LT1 intake as Coco mentioned, as well as putting an optispark back on, adapting an in-tank fuel pump, and figuring out the computer hookup.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Edelbrock LT1 intake manifold, carburetor, and conventional distributor. Not all that hard to do really. Probably the best way to go back to FI would be to reinstall an LT1 intake as Coco mentioned, as well as putting an optispark back on, adapting an in-tank fuel pump, and figuring out the computer hookup.
You would have to deal with the water pump and the timing chain cover? Never said it was hard but to me it seems a bit pricy unless you happen to have a lot a SB parts around.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Gorn
You would have to deal with the water pump and the timing chain cover?
I don't see why you would need to mess with either one of those.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:37 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i was tempted to put my old lt in the netter. i was going to leave the opti and just not use it, leave the water pump as the coolant would just be going backwards through the heat exchange. already had sbc dizzy and carb so all i needed was edelbrock intake. i was not sure it would interchange before tearing apart though so got known correct rebuilt before teardown and used it. did find out it would have worked once apart.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine intake swap