Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

454 Oiling Question

Old 01-21-2015, 10:47 PM
Default 454 Oiling Question

Last spring stroked my Gen IV to 496, installed dual oil filter system using 5/8 lines. Mounted the filters at the core support. Now I used 90degree fittings at the block. 65 psi all day, twenty 1/4 mile runs and I burned the No1 rod bearing , sending a rod thru the pan and my season was done. No other damage on the crank. Engine builder is blaming the sharp turn and long distance for starving last bearing to get oil...any thoughts??? Also any suggestion for replacing the Hooker headers, with AFR heads the plugs are needing to be installed before the headers, making it almost impossible to lookat more than two plugs at the track.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:05 AM
4th Gear Member

Yep, 90° elbows have turbulence as media flows through it, regardless of the medium - gas or liquid. This tumbling loses flow.
Also, length has its disadvantages - longer length, loss of flow.
Third, forward motion of the Camaro - pump has to overcome the forward momentum of the fluid wanting to flow backwards due to acceleration forward put a ice cube on a sheet of paper and jerk out the paper, the ice stays rather than move with the paper.

Think of a donut - this is how media travels through a straight conduit.
The hole is the fastest portion of the media - the roll is the ebbing of the media due to friction from the interior walls.
When a sharp elbow is inserted, the media actually folds over itself - loss of flow/volume.

The fix would be return to the block filter as GM designed.
Or, lesser hose length and use straight fittings on the adapter and radius the hose no less than 3X the diameter of the hose, aka, 5/8 DIA = 1.8, round up to 2 inch radius and place the remote filter in line with the adapter so its not pumping against gravity.

Yes, the gauge reads 65 PSIG, but resistance to flow is pressure.
You can have all the pressure you want and still not have flow.
No. 1 rod is the farthest forward and a lot of G's pushing back the oil being pumped forward.

Welcome to the Club, SS

Aren't plugs above the headers on a BBC?