Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

'93 LT1 Problem starting and running

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Default '93 LT1 Problem starting and running

I really need help on this one. I have a 1993 Z29 with an LT1 engine and I'm having a great deal of trouble that I can't figure out. The car cranks but has a great deal of trouble tring to start. Once it finally starts... after many times cranking, it seems to run fine in idle but when I try to accelerate, the car boggs out and seems to want to stall so I let off of the gas and it goes back to idle fine. When I do get it to drive, it drives fine as long as I accelerate very easily and slowly. If I try to accelerate fast or take off quickly it boggs out again and sometimes stalls. Then I have a great deal of trouble trying to get it started again.

I have checked all the vacuum tubes and replaced those that were cracked or corroded. I replaced the PCV valve and all the hoses that were bad. I have recently replaced all the spark plugs with the 4 prong plugs and I replaced all the plug wires with new ones. I also replaced the stock air intake with a K&N cold air induction kid.

If anyone can give me any type of clues as to what I might need to do, I would really appreciate your help. I was thinking about replacing the fuel injectors but I don't know if that's the problem. I thought there might be water in the gas so I put a bottle of STP water remover in the gas and topped it off. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

Tom Alvarez

Old 07-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: '93 LT1 Problem starting and running

Check the throttle position sensor, fuel pressure & pressure reg.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:46 AM

Thanks, Pete. I'll try those things... at this point, I'll even try rubbing the hood with garlic.

I just noticed that I put a Z29 instead of a Z28 by accident on my initial email. You must think I'm an idiot.

Thanks again!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:58 PM

I thought this might help others that happen to be in my situation.
I figured out the problem with the starting and running of my Z28. After replacing the fuel filter, fuel injectors, fuel regulator, ignition module, PCV valve, all the cracked tubes, spark plug wires, and spark plugs I found out that it was simply the coil.

How frustrating is that?!?!?! Well, she runs great, now!