Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Scan9495: Free OBD1 PC scan app for 94/95 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Scan9495: Free OBD1 PC scan app for 94/95 LT1

Hi,
My name is Gary and I am a member of several online car forums like this one. I spent years telling owners of the 94 and 95 LT1 F-body cars that they would have to use a bare-bones utility like FreeScan, or other ones that cost some money to buy, in order to read some trouble codes. I felt sorry for them being in this "no-mans land" of the car being too new to be able to flash the trouble codes and too old to be able to use a cheap OBD2 code reader. Having recently programmed an OBD2 utility just for my own amusement, I was confident that I had the right "tools" and could probably help with this 94/95 diagnostics gap issue. Now I can share the result with anyone who wants this OBD1 diagnostic app free of charge, without any usage limits, without any ads, and with no "strings" of any kind attached. It's called Scan9495 (not much imagination there). All you need is a PC with WinXP or newer and an OBD1 cable. By the way, this is a diagnostic app only. It will do no programming or tuning; there are plenty of those apps available already.

Some features of this application are: 1) Current diagnostic engine and transmission trouble codes (DTC) list with reset capability, 2) Engine parameter display (aka live data), 3) Automatic transmission parameter display, 4) ABS/EBCM (non-TC) trouble code and data display with reset, 5) SIR (airbags) trouble code and data display with reset, 6) Engine, transmission, and ABS actuators (aka bi-directional controls) with ON/OFF/Reset, 7) Engine parameter graphing (up to 4 channels) with displayed image file save, 8) Data communications logging with file save, and 9) Data recording and playback. It can also read Datamaster ver4 ".uni" files. This is programmed for the automatic transmission cars but should work for the manual transmission cars. Just don't try to use the transmission scan.

Now I give a great amount of credit to Andy Whitaker for creating FreeScan when there simply was little else you could use. More impressive is the fact that he apparently accomplished that without the use of an F-body car for testing. Amazing! Unfortunately, FreeScan has several features lacking which I consider really important and it also contains some errors (bugs) which have never been fixed. It's time to move on.

Link to Scan9495 download: http://www.mediafire.com/?0elo4c935uc5s

The path to the main file is "GDscan\Scan9495" and the filename is "SCAN9495 V<version>.zip". There is also early version of Datamaster, the most recent version of Freescan, and a file describing how to make an OBD1/ALDL cable for these apps for under $20.

There is a program user's guide in the same folder also. To install this app, all you do is unzip the main file and put the extracted files into a folder of your choosing of name and location. Nothing else will be changed or added except a few entries in the registry for convenience (com port number, chart line settings, options, etc). Create a shortcut to the Scan9495.exe file and you are done. All datalog/chart/comms record files that you save will be sent to this folder.

You will also have to obtain an OBD1 cable of some type. Any that are intended for use on these cars should be adequate (OBD Diagnostics, ALDL USB Cable, etc). Typical cost is about $50-70, but you can make your own for under $20. See the example photos below. Make sure to get a 16-pin cable for the 95 or a 12-pin cable for the 94.
In the example photos below, do not use the left-over 16-pin connector from this particular adapter. It has incorrect connections. This is for the 12-pin 94 only. On the 12-pin 94 one, the green and white wires go to pin M and the black wire goes to pin A. On the 16-pin 95, the green and white wires go to pin 9 and the black wire goes to pins 4 and 5.
Please note that I have recently run across various versions of the 12-pin to 16-pin adapter cable. The correct wire colors to use may be different. Use a meter or continuity tester to insure the correct connections described above.

By the way, users report that this app can be used on the B-car LT1 as well. There is also an F-car 94/95 L32 (3.4L V6) version available on the site.

Please do not hesitate to message or email me with your results, good or bad. I can actually learn more about what needs fixing from the bad results. Thanks
Scan9495@gmail.com

Last edited by GaryDoug; 07-26-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:57 PM
2nd Gear member

Update:
To all users:
I have placed a beta version of this app in the Trials folder. It has added automatic transmission datalogging capability.
It produces a file similar to the type for the engine scan but with the word "trans" added. There is no capability yet to load the file into the app for viewing. So you might want to use Microsoft Excel or Apache Calc to view it effectively.
There is an added transmission data tab to the right end that has a new format for the transmission data but the old tab works as usual. Eventually the old one will be removed. The new tab uses a checkbox to select the datalogging.
If the checkbox is checked and scanning is started, a datalogging file will be created separately from the engine file. It is not necessary to run both logs or both engine and transmission scans at the same time.

I would like to ask a favor of anyone with a normally-acting transmission. It would be a great help to have a known-good log file to use in comparing results. If some users could run a short scan while driving the car a few minutes it would be a great help. Just drive normally from a stop up to about 45mph through all the gears and slow back down to a stop. It would also be helpful to make sure the TC lockup occurs even if that takes longer to scan. You can elmail the file to me at scan9495@gmail.com. ManyThanks!

FYI, this app has had over 600 installations. Should we make this a sticky like in several other forums?

Old 10-21-2014, 04:27 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks to the fine effort by "rngilliland" (Rob), we now have a known-good auto transmission scan. It is posted in the same folder as the beta version of the app. In the future, it will be inside the main zip file. Thanks Rob!

Old 11-10-2014, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear member

In case anyone reads this: Today, I released Version 2 of Scan9495 that includes support for the 93 LT1. I am sure there are some bugs, but I think it is ready for regular testing. You select the year(s) using a single button at the top left of the main screen. At present, there is no support for the 93 SIR (airbags) module. This version replaces the existing one and is in the same place as before.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:11 PM
2nd Gear member

I upgraded one of my pc's to Windows 10 and this app works fine on it. No differences from a Win 7 setup for the app or cable.

Old 06-07-2023, 08:13 AM

Thanks for making this available. I just ordered a cable to allow my to hook this up to my laptop. My question is are there any data showing what different readings should be for sensors for normal range? I just bought a 95 3.4 from my uncle and it has a SES light and has a rough idle, and an a/c leak, and want to get this running tip top as the body and interior are spotless and am making this my daily driver for summertime. Just need to know what are the baseline info so when I scan the live data I know what numbers I am shooting for.
thanks!

Old 06-08-2023, 09:43 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the factory service manual has them in it. download your year here http://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti look for tech 1 data, it will be under driveability and emissions in the 3.4 section

Last edited by craby; 06-08-2023 at 09:53 AM.