Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

need help fuel problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Default need help fuel problems

Have a 94 3.4L v6 camaro and it starts and runs great but for the last 3 days if i turn the car off and try to restart it within 30 minutes of turning it off it doesnt seem to be getting fuel and wont start at all and the one time it did start it ran really rich for a couple minutes before it smoothed out. the weird thing is that if it sits for over a half an hour it fires right up which makes me think its an electrical problem with a relay or something like that. any advice would be greatly appreciated. by the way i bought the car brand new in 94 and it has 287,000 miles on it and the only major thing i've had to replace was the head gaskets besides normal things that go out after time. my wife is looking for any reason to get rid of it but it's been the best car i've ever had and just can't let the old girl go. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 AM

i would try changing the fuel filter first, its under the car on the driver side in front rear wheel

Last edited by TheSolution_420; 01-30-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:47 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

check fuel pressure at 300k that car should be dead (congrats on getting there tho) its possible the pump is struggling. also id get a hold of chevy if i remember correctly you can get some certificate or something for a car with over 250k and the original drivetrain

Old 01-30-2012, 11:46 AM
Tech Droid

Sound like the FI is not holding pressure when the engine is off. As Basic said, check the fuel pressure and if good verify that it holds when the engine is off. Being that the car is hard to start and when it starts it generates a lot of smoke, I suspect one or more injectors is leaking. This will dump raw fuel in the intake and make the engine hard to start. After sitting a while, the extra fuel leaks down into the crank case, thereby clearing the rich condition and allows a normal start.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:26 PM

^That would be my bet too. Leaking injectors will "flood" the engine. Take that same trip and pull the fuel pump fuse when you stop. Then turn the engine over a few times. This will clear your combustion chamber of any fuel. (It may also stumble a bit if that fuel is ignited) Then replace the fuse and try starting it. If it starts up that's your problem. You can check which one(s) are getting stuck open by pulling the plugs and checking for raw fuel. I would skip that last step and just replace all of them since you have to pull the rail anyways and the others are likely next in line. But then again, 1 injector is a heck of a lot cheaper than 6.

Note: This may trip an O2 code because your putting unburned fuel in the exhaust (if that's the problem).

Old 02-12-2015, 06:12 AM

Hi chil the information may help for you.....
check the fuel pressure, you will need to find your port on the fuel rail, its a shreder valve(same as a tire valve that you put air in). When you find that you need to find or borrow a fuel pressure guage, and see what the pressure is. It should be close to 43.5Psi when the cars ignition is on but not running. When the car is running this will drop about 10 psi. So when the cars running it should be a steady 33.5Psi or so. Drive it arround while watching the pressure on the guage, the fuel port should be in the back of the intake manifold.

For the injectors the best way to really test them is to remove them and check the resistance, which should be about 11.2 ohms at room tempeture if i remember right. Also you can actually remove the fuel rail, and leave the injectors attatched and have some one try starting the car and then while there doing that you look at the injectors to see if they all pulsate and are not clogged.

If fuel pressure is low change the fuel filter first since its cheep and its good matenence.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:10 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by robinsonparker
Hi chil the information may help for you.....
check the fuel pressure, you will need to find your port on the fuel rail, its a shreder valve(same as a tire valve that you put air in). When you find that you need to find or borrow a fuel pressure guage, and see what the pressure is. It should be close to 43.5Psi when the cars ignition is on but not running. When the car is running this will drop about 10 psi. So when the cars running it should be a steady 33.5Psi or so. Drive it arround while watching the pressure on the guage, the fuel port should be in the back of the intake manifold.

For the injectors the best way to really test them is to remove them and check the resistance, which should be about 11.2 ohms at room tempeture if i remember right. Also you can actually remove the fuel rail, and leave the injectors attatched and have some one try starting the car and then while there doing that you look at the injectors to see if they all pulsate and are not clogged.

If fuel pressure is low change the fuel filter first since its cheep and its good matenence.
Good info, but I bet after 3 years he's either fixed it, or sold it.