Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Intalling an OEM CD Changer/AUX Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Default Intalling an OEM CD Changer/AUX Adapter

Hi All, I have a 1998 Stock Camaro with the Monsoon sound system. All Indications seem to show that there is no aftermarket products to utilize the CD Changer connector in the hatch area of the car.

What I want to know is, can this model of Camaro actually accept the CD Changer if the harness supports it, and the radio appears to support it? Also, has anyone attempted to install a CD Changer or an Aux Adapter in a 1995-1999 model year Camaro?

FYI, www.pie.net does have Aux Adapters if your wondering.

Old 06-09-2006, 07:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Intalling an OEM CD Changer/AUX Adapter

looks to be if your head unit has the "tape/aux" button it will support a changer. Head units with the "source" button are not compatible. Alpine or Audiovox changer will work. This is coming from peripheral ... www.peripheral-aamp.com, if all else fails you could run an FM modulated changer, granted they dont sound as good but if all else fails its better then nothing. Or change out the headunit.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Overdrive Member

Looks like you can use the GM9-AUX, see:

http://logjam.d3datasolutions.com/fo...showtopic=1969

ORIGINAL: drewser

Hi All, I have a 1998 Stock Camaro with the Monsoon sound system. All Indications seem to show that there is no aftermarket products to utilize the CD Changer connector in the hatch area of the car.

What I want to know is, can this model of Camaro actually accept the CD Changer if the harness supports it, and the radio appears to support it? Also, has anyone attempted to install a CD Changer or an Aux Adapter in a 1995-1999 model year Camaro?

Old 02-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Overdrive Member

This looks like another option:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true

"DIY do-it-yourself GM Delco Auxiliary aux. input ipod mp3 cd zune connector

Connect your MP3, iPod, Zune, CD player or any other device with a stereo headphone plug to your factory GM stereo. Have CD quality sound from your stock stereo! If you have the ability to get the stereo out of the dash of your car, YOU can do this simple modification yourself! SAVE HUNDREDS!
Why spend BIG bucks on a new stereo to plug in your new mp3 or iPod that won’t fit in the space provided by GM?
Why wait on an auction for a stock radio (like the one you already have) with the plug in the face of it?
Who cares if the tape deck functions? You’ll never listen to it again anyway!
You can modify YOUR stock Delco UM6 or UX1 stereo to do the SAME thing for FAR less! Keep your stereo looking stock, and locate the plug wherever YOU want it! In the glove box. In the console. On the dash. Or in the stereo itself. Just about anywhere it’ll fit.
No FM transmitter. No Tape adapter. Connects directly to the amp. Plug in your device and you’ve got CLEAN SOUND!
And you can BUY-IT-NOW for only 30 DOLLARS with FREE SHIPPING to the lower 48 states!!!

This modification will require that you open the radio (3 screws) and make 4 solder connections. It is VERY easy. You will need a sharp knife, a ÂĽ inch nut driver or socket, wire cutters, pliers, and a soldering iron and solder. Everything else is provided.
I use only the highest quality parts. Shielded multi-conductor cable and 100% soldered and shrink tube connections, unlike others that sell complete radios and use un-shielded wire wrapped in tape.
This adapter kit consists of a 30 inch long cord (longer cords are available for $1.00 extra per foot) with a female 1/8(3.5mm) stereo plug on one end, an extra ground lug, heat shrink tubing, and detailed photographic instructions. You will need a 1/8 inch stereo male-to-male cord to plug the 2 components together (about 5 bucks at Radio Shack).

UM6 UX1 Fits 1982-1988 Chevrolet Celebrity, Pontiac 6000, Oldsmobile Ciera, Buick Century, Blazer, Jimmy, Camaro, Z-28, IROC, GTA, Firebird, Fiero, Trans Am, Regal, Corvette, S-10, S-15, C-10, C-20, Z-24, Cavalier, Sunbird, Cimarron, Cadillac, Cutlass, Astro, Monte Carlo, and any other GM Delco stereos that resemble this. It may also work up to ’99 but it has not been tested yet, although the wiring looks the same.

ALSO AVAILABLE, installation of this kit into your existing radio. $60.00 for kit installation, (kit included), $100.00 for faceplace installation (kit included). Pre-paid shipping of the radio both ways is your responsibility. So in other words, if YOU want ME to install this in YOUR WORKING radio, its will cost you 60 dollars for the kit and installition total plus 2 way shipping. OR 100 dollars for faceplate installation plus two way shipping. Radios will be tested BEFORE and AFTER installation. Radios recieved in non-working condition will be shipped back at your cost + 20 dollar bench fee. Not responsible for radios damaged in shipping. Insurance is your responsibility. Please contact me about an installation.

I cannot offer a gaurantee or return on this “Do-It-Yourself” project. However it WILL work if the directions are followed."

ORIGINAL: drewser