Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Car Audio

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 07:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Car Audio

I have a 02 SS. There are 2 speakers in the door, in the back seat and in the trunk. Are they all 6 1/2"?? Also has anybody ever had Aura bass Shakers? Is there any amps or anything in this veicle??

Old 06-24-2013, 06:03 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Hopefully memory serves me correctly because it has been a while since I did my mother in-laws and even longer since I have done it professionally.

The speakers in the front door and back seats are 6.5". The speakers in the hatch area are 4". The front speakers actually have 4 wires (2 for the mid range and 2 for the tweeter) going to them because they are technically considered a component setup even though the tweeter and speaker are all in one. This means if you are replacing the fronts and you are not bypassing the amp you may have to decide between voice or bass. To bypass or not bypass depends on the situation and what your intentions are with your audio system. If you just want to replace blown speakers than I say leave it as-is but if your doing it because you want better sound than bypass it but keep in mind that you should not power that many speakers off a simple head unit.

What I did on her car since her monsoon amp was in good shape; I was using a pair of alpine speakers and they have the tweeter wires coming out the center of the magnet to the speaker terminals so I cut them away at the terminal and hooked up the tweeter to the tweeter wires and the mid range to the mid range wires. Technically this is not advisable for a few reasons: you will void any warranty on the speakers and now you are not relying on the cross over on the speaker so you can damage the speaker.
Name:  x500SPR60-B_zpsf57c1220.jpeg
Views: 239
Size:  35.9 KB

I have never used aura bass shakers nor will I ever! IMHO - They would be dope in a home theater application when you need that extra little kick but completely a waste in car audio. They have zero acoustical value and purely create vibration from my understanding. IMO - you would be better and happier with a simple bass tube then using them. Hatchbacks do not require a lot in the way of subs because of the open air space. IMO anything over 1 sub in a hatch back is overkill. I have 1 - 12" in my Dodge ram, 1 - 12" in the trunk of my 05 Mustang and honestly I will be either doing a 10" sub or an 8" high excursion sub in my 96 Maro. But this is because I am a sound quality guy and dont care about setting off car alarms around the block.

Based on speaker locations it sounds like you do have an amp located behind the spare tire.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

1 more thing to add... I am 99% sure that the speakers in the back seat are only ment to play mids and do not have voice coming through them so that maybe another reason to consider bypassing the amp if your looking for better sound.