Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Audio Information

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 04:42 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Audio Information

Ok, here are some quick litle run downs, of a few questions I see posted here on a regular basis.

What is bridging an amp Hiss?
Bridging literally refers to taking two channels of an amp and combining them to turn the amp into a one channel amp.

Woah, Hiss, what exactly is going on when I bridge my amp then? More or less, you are combining two channels into one, to get twice the voltage.

Well, Hiss, why should I do it?
When you bridge an amp you get more power from it. You can put out somewhere near 4 times more power through a bridged channelthan you can through a non-bridged channel.

Awesome Hiss, i'm going to go bridge my amp right now! Wait.
Bridging an amp can cause distortion. Another reason you should hold out on bridging your amp, is because it might be unable to remain stable at that load that your speakers present.

[hr]

Hiss! What's the best brand of speakers/Comp sets??!! My homeboyz say it's ___, and ___.

THERE ARE NO BEST BRAND OF SPEAKERS. When comparing what is the top of the line speaker, you are generally comparing what sounds best to you. AlthoughI can't tell you the best speaker for you, I will relate you to some quality brands.

[ol][*]MB Quarts[*]Boston Acoustics[*]CDT's[*]Memphis[*]Focal's[/ol]

[hr]

Hiss, you are the man! I went out and bought me some tight subz and the sweetest amp ever G!!@$@! But why do my headlights keep dimming dawg?!?!?

Well, your headlights are dimming because there is a drop in the voltage level that is available to all your vehicles power using accesories. The dimming is probobly being caused by the extremely large current demanded by your new amp.

Your best bet is to firstly, check all your wiring. Then go check the battery, and altenator for problems.

If everything seems to be in working order, then you might be in need of upgrading to another battery, or a new altenator.

Most problems of headlight dimming can be solved by upgrading the Big 3.

[hr]

HISS!!! WHAT ARE THE BIG 3!!! AHHH!!

The BIG 3

[ol][*]The Altenator to the Battery[*]The Battery to the Chasis[*]The Engine ground to the Chasis[/ol]
The changing of these 3 wires to a larger guage can not only help your electrical system, but it can benifit you in any competition you may enter.

Keep this in mind when deciding what awg to choose, always look at the power charts of your amp, and if it requires 4 awg then use no less than 4 awg. Use 2 awg if you can, and if you are feeling nutty, go all out and use 0/1.

[hr]

Hisss baby. Why do my subs make a "Popping" Noise when I turn off my car?

This kind of problem is often caused by transients in the signal processor as it powers down finding their way into the signal path, which the amplifier then transmits to the speakers.

Most of the timethis problem will be easily solved by adding a little turn-off delay to the processor. This allows the processor to stay on for a short time after the amps haveshut down, therefore preventing the pop sound you hear.

Many comps and equalizers that are sold today have built in delays. Use this to your advantage.

[hr]

HISSSSS$$$$$$ what's a line driver?

Well, aline driver is a device that amplifies a signal,like a low-level signal output from a cd player. Line drivers are always made to amplify the line level signal to as much asten volts. This is useless UNLESS the receiving end can handletenvolts as input.

To solve this problem, there are line receivers which bring the line level voltage down fromten volts or more to aroundone volt.Most of the timethe line driver and receiver are placed as close to the sending signal source and destination as possible, to minimize noise pick up.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:00 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Audio Information

thanks for the info

someone should make me a mod so I can sticky this

Old 03-26-2007, 05:03 PM
2nd Gear member

I'm getting ole Pat to sticky it.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Where'd that info come from??? You MF'er!

Old 03-27-2007, 08:46 PM
2nd Gear member

Came from me and my original sticky in MF.

It's my work, i'm not going to waste it just from being banned.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:48 PM
2nd Gear member

lol.. why were you banned? if you dont mind me asking, of course

Old 04-28-2007, 08:12 PM
2nd Gear member

For making fun of a fellow member's mother.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:05 PM
May 2007 ROTM

When did you get banned from MF ?

Old 04-29-2007, 02:45 AM
2nd Gear member

I was on Post Approval, not banned.

But they decided they loved me too much, and let me back in.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

You are fairly knowledgable about car stereo's and such, but from the few members that have not seen this...... "you" need to work on your spelling and grammer. I only pointed it out because you degrade others for it. Also, I am not ripping on you or being a bi$%h but I saw how you dug into a few members for asking a question and it was not nice. Some people ask to obtain knowledge, so they deserve just that.

Quick Reply: Audio Information