93-02 Wheels, Tires and Exterior

Ding/Dent Removal + Filling and Painting Chips???

Old 03-07-2015, 07:29 AM
Default Ding/Dent Removal + Filling and Painting Chips???

Hey everyone, just a quick question on dent removal or I guess opinions… oh, and chip filling/painting.

So, my car is a 94 Z28 and its pretty mint with only 35k original miles on it – it had 27 when I got it a year ago. Anyway, it’s still pretty mint, but this morning I got into work and realized I have a ding over the back right fender. It isn’t huge or that entirely deep, maybe the diameter of a baseball, but again, not that deep and there isn’t any paint chipped. There are a couple other little ones in other places, but not noticeable or even that much of an eyesore when you do notice them, and you’d have to be looking for them to notice. I’m just pissed about this one, it isn’t all that noticeable, but it’s noticeable enough to really bother me.

Has anyone had any experience with paintless ding/dent removal places? I live near Boston, so we have a few around and I was thinking of going in a few weeks and having it removed. I suppose I’d just have them take out the littler ones as well. I’m just a little worried that they may somehow make it worse or damage the paint. They work on rare and exotic cars, plus classics – basically everything else too – and they advertise that they don’t rush and take good care of each vehicle. I just don’t know, is that a risky proposition?

Also, there’s a couple paint chips, not noticeable really and very tiny, but still chips. I don’t like that the car is basically perfect, but has minor flaws. I want it to be perfect and I don’t want the chips to get bigger or for corrosion to occur. What would be the best path? I know they can be filled in and painted over, but I don’t want to have a random shade of red, even if only on tiny spots . Would I be able to have these filled in at a Chevy dealership and covered with the original color, cherry red? Or would I/could I have it done at another place, with the same shade being brought in?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Last edited by mpr21290; 03-07-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:25 AM

Apparently I was seeing things, just took her out from under the tarp and there's nothing there. So, that solves that I suppose. I'm relieved...

Old 03-23-2015, 12:00 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I've had hail damage on a couple of my cars fixed by a paintless dent repair place, they can do wonders and make the spot undetectable. Any time you can keep the factory paint in tact, you're better off.
Keep it in mind should your mystery dent ever reappear.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:37 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you ever get a chance just search Youtube for PDR. I have been amazed by what they can do. Most body men blow these guys off but learning what they know allows you to do metal finish of the finest type. They are taking the whole hammer dolly thing to the next level.

I can remember a TV show and they where building stainless steel clear coat only bodies. As they got to the end of the process there tools looked a lot more PDR and a lot less body shop type tools.