Size:  2.2 KB

Old 11-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: V6-V8 swap: How to

[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 12-29-2008, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Guys... Ok so i want some advise on this. I bought a z28 that had a salvaged title 2 years ago. for 1500$ body work was done (not so good but not eye noticeable from 5 ft) a year later with 177k on it and a rear main seal leaking (not bad) i pulled the motor built it 383 stroker and lots of other good stuff. the motor is still sealed up air tight and i found the same year v6 with a blown motor for 800$ (clear title) would it be wise to buy this car and swap all the stuff for a clear title speaking in motor alone i have 5800$ in? i still have all the parts to the z its mostly still together. and what about time... how many hours am i looking at... (decent with mechanics) I had the motor out of the car from the top and that was crazy hard. in about 8 hours. but for someone who is not mechanicly challenged how long are we looking at with all the proper tools. p.s. i lost the title to the z and all the paper work in a house fire.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Ninja Administrator

well, since you already have a donor car you would actually be the perfect candidate for this. you already should have every part you would need, the matter is just swapping it over. the positives are: clean title, with v8, so private sales will get v8 prices. vin is v6 so cheaper insurance.

if you have the proper tools (which it sounds like you do) and were able to work uninterupted I would think you, with a little help from some friends, could get the drivetrain swapped in a weekend.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow thats about what I was guessing.. At most it could happen in 2 weekends with Murphys law. But thanks for the input. And i will make a thread about it when I start. It will be started in march, the first of march.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:27 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

ORIGINAL: importmd

that sums it up nicly, am i currently the only one on herethat has performed this swap?
No, my first gm project was switching out a straight 4 and replacing it with a 262 V6. Edelbrock intake and holley 650 was all I really needed... everthing else I kind of rigged up, I did need a fuel pressure regulator and engine mounts, but that was about it. pretty cheap.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

^im sure that swap wasnt as involved as a 4th gen swap. 1bad96, the wiring is the part that will take alot of time. but it is a good way to get to know your car inside and out.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260
well, since you already have a donor car you would actually be the perfect candidate for this. you already should have every part you would need, the matter is just swapping it over. the positives are: clean title, with v8, so private sales will get v8 prices. vin is v6 so cheaper insurance.

if you have the proper tools (which it sounds like you do) and were able to work uninterupted I would think you, with a little help from some friends, could get the drivetrain swapped in a weekend.
You have to be very careful with that. A friend of mine back in high school had an 82 Monte Carlo and went from a stock engine to some evil 400+ cubic monster. He was driving one day, some girl ran a red light. No insurance, no license, no anything, but HE got the bigger ticket because the hood popped open, and the curious officer looked under and noticed the bigger engine. Apparently he was a car buff and knew it shouldn't be in there. His ticket for failure to report proper engine size to his insurance company was bigger than the girl's for no insurance and no license.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:55 PM

my wife and i are new owners of an v6 01 camaro. I am new to fbodies but not new to the 3.8 or to modding. I have a highly modified 98 grand prix. i dont care to waste my time modifing this engine when this car has plenty of room for two more cylinders. I understand this may take k-member, suspension, crap like that. I figured i would ask in here instead of a new thread as forum folk get pissed when you keep making a new posts about the same **** all the time. Anyways, I am looking to stick a 6.0l out of a silverado in this thing. It is an ls series engine, or so i am told. so i figured this all shouldnt be too much.
i guess what i am getting at, is what all do i need? engine, trans? or does the 4l60 bolt up, wiring? probably from the truck? k-member? stiffer suspension? driveshaft? this will make a great winter project. anything i am forgetting?

*puts on flame suit

Quick Reply: V6-V8 swap: How to