93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Default transmission fluid

Hello,
Need some advice on transmission fill. My camaro seems to be shifting a little late or in other words kinda dragging along before shifting into next gear, especially 1st and 2nd.

I checked the trans fluid level after getting home from work while the car was running and it read almost empty. A few hours later I checked again just before I was about to add the fluid and the dipstick read completely full...Which reading is accurate? It would seem to me that the reading would be higher at the first reading since the fluid would probably have been splashing around..

thanks

Old 12-14-2007, 03:39 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: transmission fluid

you need to check you trans fluid with the car running and warm. Thats when you will get an accurate reading.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:16 PM
2nd Gear member

Speaking of transmission fluid. I checked mine and it was brownish looking, although it read full. The car has 130k miles on it. Should I change it? I read somewhere that with 100k+ miles changing the tranny fluid may actually make things worse because it would lose the grippiness of the dirtier fluid that it had from all the junk in it. Is that true? Sounds crazy to me...

Old 12-14-2007, 07:50 PM
4th Gear Member

Change it and forget what other people say. Fulids are the lifeblood of anything mechanical. The newer & cleaner the better off you are.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:42 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackz87

Change it and forget what other people say. Fulids are the lifeblood of anything mechanical. The newer & cleaner the better off you are.
Sorry, I have to disagree. If your transmission fluid has never been changed, and your vechile has high mileage on it, unless you are running into shifting problems, leave it alone. Transmission fluid has detergents in it that will clean parts as it works. If you remove the old brown fluid with new clean fluid, I will bet you that within days your trans will fail.Ask any mechanic or even call your local trans shop, they will second what I am telling you.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:31 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chappie99

ORIGINAL: blackz87

Sorry, I have to disagree. If your transmission fluid has never been changed, and your vechile has high mileage on it, unless you are running into shifting problems, leave it alone. Transmission fluid has detergents in it that will clean parts as it works. If you remove the old brown fluid with new clean fluid, I will bet you that within days your trans will fail.Ask any mechanic or even call your local trans shop, they will second what I am telling you.
Yes. because they want the tranny repair business.
Change the fulid.[sm=chairshot.gif]

Old 12-16-2007, 07:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

i changed mine not to long ago, and it seems just fine.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:09 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GMDCAMARO

How many miles does your car have? and have the fluid been changed before?

i also have heard that if you have 90,xxx plus miles and fluids have never been chahnged, your better off not changing them..

Old 12-17-2007, 08:06 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: maroman209

i also have heard that if you have 90,xxx plus miles and fluids have never been chahnged, your better off not changing them..
Anther one with good info "i also heard that".[sm=chairshot.gif]

Old 12-17-2007, 10:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: maroman209

I have 98,XXX. Guy told me i have a really clean tranny, one of the cleanest i guess? But ya.

You change your oil, cause it "wears" out, so i would think that would go for any fluid.

Quick Reply: transmission fluid